Osama, er ah, Obama on New Yorker Magazine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The New Yorker magazine should be ashamed of itself for even considering that piece of garbage. I feel that it should not even be published! Even McCain came out against it. If it is published, all stores that carry the New Yorker magazine need to refuse it or burn it. Our society has sunk to a new low. :(

You are, for the lack of better words... a tool.

Once again, Frank, you have to resort to personal insults. Is your vocabulary that limited that you can, as you stated, "find no better words" (I'm paraphrasing here) with which to respond to this thread?:huh:

If that's the case, then just don't say anything. Otherwise, try to show at least a modicum of decorum in your postings.

I thought the cover was a hoot! The New Yorker has long been a leader in parody and helping us see our weaknesses. The fist bump was a great touch, too!

Yeah! I understand the next cover will have Cheney with a burning cross in the background after shooting W in the face and hanging him while his wife reloads so that he can shoot over the US-Mexico border fence…yehaa!!!!

Why slam Mike on this? He is just a messenger.

Who really gives a crap?

I suggest we stop all the chest beating in outrage lest you be compared those muslims that got all upset by the cartoons in the French papers.

I would hope we are a little more tolerant than that!

TJR

Frank, somethings may not be in good taste. But I dont think we need to start politcal censorship as some dictorial countries do.

Why slam Mike on this? He is just a messenger. Nobody is slamming Mike… just stating the facts.

Who really gives a crap? Anybody who can VOTE!

I suggest we stop all the chest beating in outrage lest you be compared those Muslims that got all upset by the cartoons in the French papers. Check your geography…

I would hope we are a little more tolerant than that! Agreed!

TJR

You are right, Pedro, they were printed in a Danish magazine/paper...many of the riots over them were in France.

I still don't give a crap about this...not really, other than people getting their panties in a twist about it.

TJR

Well, being a Republican . . . . . :)

Sorry, but since it's O'bama (the Irish version), it's racist. When the New Yorker does the cover on McCain, it's just good humor.

Lighten up folks, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how wrong the Democrats are! :D

If I heard correctly today, the New Yorker's explanation (or possibly it was liberal bloggers -- missed part of it because my wife just <I>had</I> to say something right at that moment) is that it's meant to portray what they believe that us <I>right-wingers</I> think about the Osa . . . I mean, Obamas. And of course, the right-wingers are too stupid to understand it. Uh-huh.

I am a Right-Winger. It's not how I see them (I see them much worse but in a much different way.... definately not in a terrorist way and not as a Muslim or Bin Laden supportor, at least directly).

This cover is tasteless, but the beauty of this country is that we have Freedom of the Press and Free Speech rights. The New Yorker is free to print what they will, just as is the DailyKOS and Frank. They all have the responcibility to deal witht he consequences of their actions.

While I disagree with what they've done, it's neither illegal, slanderous or cause for riots. Bad taste? Maybe, but what's the difference between what they've done this time and most of the political cartoons depicting President Bush over the last 8 years?

Well, lets see ...even McCain is not happy about that cover as well as other politicians that are not from Obamas party.

also I heard the artist on todays news, this morning. He stated that the cartoon was not to insinuate anything negative again Mr & Mrs Obama, it was more poking fun at all the negative things said against them, and how *some* folks may view them. Which of course is not his view.

From the Washington AP

WASHINGTON (AP) — Barack Obama's campaign says a satirical New Yorker magazine cover showing the Democratic presidential candidate dressed as a Muslim and his wife as a terrorist is "tasteless and offensive."

The illustration on the issue that hits newsstands Monday, titled "The Politics of Fear" and drawn by Barry Blitt, depicts Barack Obama wearing sandals, robe and a turban and his wife, Michelle, dressed in camouflage, combat boots and an assault rifle strapped over her shoulder — standing in the Oval Office.

The couple is doing a fist tap in front of a fireplace in which an American flag is burning. Over the mantel hangs a portrait of Osama bin Laden.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Senator Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

In a statement Monday, the magazine said the cover "combines a number of fantastical images about the Obamas and shows them for the obvious distortions they are."

"The burning flag, the nationalist-radical and Islamic outfits, the fist-bump, the portrait on the wall? All of them echo one attack or another. Satire is part of what we do, and it is meant to bring things out into the open, to hold up a mirror to prejudice, the hateful, and the absurd. And that's the spirit of this cover," the New Yorker statement said.

The statement also pointed to the two articles on Obama contained inside the magazine, calling them "very serious."

In Arizona, Republican John McCain said the cover was "totally inappropriate and frankly I understand if Senator Obama and his supporters would find it offensive."

Already the cover was generating controversy on the Internet.

The Huffington Post, a left-leaning blog, said: "Anyone who's tried to paint Obama as a Muslim, anyone who's tried to portray Michelle as angry or a secret revolutionary out to get Whitey, anyone who has questioned their patriotism — well, here's your image."

Latest posts