Optima Battery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
Time to replace the OEM battery from my '05 XLT. I did several searches under Optima and also Battery without finding much info.

What is the best possible Optima model (red top, yellow top, etc.) and what specs (group number, model #)? I understand I need an adaptor of sorts to make it work with my ST. Lastly, what is the adaptor needed and is there an item #?

THANKS.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Optima site doesn't have a DB lookup for you? I believe the battery type style code is a 65 on the first gens, so that may give you a starting point.

If you go to this link you can search by vehicle type, just select "Find Battery by Vehicle", it loads a little slow but it will give you your options with links to ck stats out. Hopefully this helps. If nothing else it looks like:

Group#

34 (8002-002) Red Top

34/78 (8004-003) Red Top

75/25 (8022/091) Red Top

D34 (8012-021) Yellow Top

D34/78 (8014/045) Yellow Top

D75/25 (8042-218) Yellow Top

http://www.optimabatteries.com/daily_driver/

This will give you part numbers or other info to do Google searches on. If nothing else you can search the projects area. I didn't get an optima Red because they didn't have one with enough CCA for what I need.

The Optima site came up with a list as shown above, no mention of the adaptor. Of the 3 red tops shown, which will fit and still provide the max power? 34, 34/78, 75/25?

THANKS. Getting an education as I go through this.

They will all fit and provide the same power, the difference is probably in the terminal location. Optima Batteries are taller, so they require a longer bracket. Dingo has one.

as far as duralast being "just as good" they seem to be just a generic battery with duralast stickers slapped on them. they are not sealed batteries, they look cheap to me, not sure what sort of evaluation spaceman gave them, though, he may be some sort of expert.

Autozone sells both so you could compare both side by side. their site mentions some "snap in" clips, I would guess they sell them when they sell you the battery. If I am not mistaken, they just sort of clamp the battery from the bottom instead of having a bracket go over the top.

I just bought the 34/78 Red about a month ago. It came with adaptors to enable a proper fit in the OEM battery tray. Those are working for me in the short term, as I'm planning on buying a billet battery tray for it soon. Took all of about five minutes to swap out. I got a pretty good deal: It was on sale for $10 off retail, and there was a $25 rebate.

The other thing I like about the 34/78 is the fact that it has dual terminals. I may take advantage of the side terminals to hook up some other stuff.

Those custom battery mounts are pretty slick looking.

If I later wanted to wire up fog lights are a two-way radio, would it be ok to use the side terminal(s) to do so? That option has some appeal to me.

Thanks for all the info.

A duralast gold from AZ is as good as it gets. I wouldnt spend the extra on the optima. Unless I had alot of high powered stuff. I had a duralast gold in my stang last 8yrs. Put one in my '04 trac thanksgiving '07, $85..

Last edited by a moderator:
Duralast and Optima are both made by the same company: Johnson Controls.

Probably the same thing inside with different stickers! :lol::lol::banana::banana::lol::lol:

Your talking two diff bat types Gavin, the duralast is a common lead acid batt, the optima is an AGM, tottalty not the same batts and not the same inside by far.

I know, Bill. Just pointing out that they are made by the same company.

There sure is a lot of angst and expense about the battery, with little practical outcome here. I would think if someone really wanted to make improvements, they would move the battery to the bed and install another battery back there for more power.