Opinon of shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Big thanks to the previous poster about the shocks sale at Sears. I called them yeterday and they acknowledged the sale and said they are doing free installs. I am going in today just to verify that but I wanted to get some feedback on what I might get.

It seems Monroe and Rancho are the top 2 choices. I have an '04 with 4x4 and dont do any offroading but do do some light towing/hauling from time to time. I went to the site and Monroe gave me there recommendation but I would like some first hand answers.

I am thinking of going with Monroe Sensa Trac up front (37122) and the load adjusting sensa's in the back (58617). Does anyone have this settup? Or perhaps the Reflex's up front (911122) instead with the load adjusting in back?

Jason- I'm using Sensa-Trac's, all around.

A soft, yet smooth, positive ride. I do not tow, or leave the pavement.

Bought mine last year when Sears had the same sale.

My final price was around $100. ($20 mail in rebate, at the time)

I would recommend the Reflex model, front and rear, for your application.

P.S.- Don't know about FREE installation included with the 50% Off Sale.

Usually one or the other, never have seen a combined offer. If so, jump on it now !

P.S.S.- Upgrade your rear sway bar next, with the EE "X-Spec" or Addco 633.

My jaw is still on the floor from these two upgrades. (Shocks and RSB) Unbelievable. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
My chouce would be the reflex all around. They are a little stifer than sensatracs. But they do loosen up with milage. I have the rancho version RSX on my 4x2. I realy like them. I dont think I would be happy with the sensatracs. I lke the control they give me.

If I had known that the reflex was the same shock. I would have saved some $$ and got them.

They are both made by tenneco. The only difference is. Reflex has standard rubber mounting bushings and steel sleeve over the piston rod. The RSX has silcone poly bushings and a silicone acordion style boot over the piston rod. Tha silicone poly bushings make the rsx stiffer than reflex. But for street service the reflex rubber bushing are just fine.

The reflex and rsx technology is the same. Piston size and automatic valving and all internals. Monroe reflex is usually $20 cheaper per shock than rancho rsx.

The sensatrac is a good shock. But has less sway control and nose down control on braking. IMO, the reflex is a better truck shock. As where the sensatrac was made for cars and some light trucks. Our tracs are over 2tons and top heavy.

All this is JMO. Some on the board are very happy with sensatrac. A few upgraded latter to the reflex. The main point of the tracs shocks is. Anything is better than the sloppy OEMs. I changed mine out at 1500miles.

I went with Rancho RSX's all around. If I were to do it again I would go RSX's up front & air shocks in the rear since I have a 2wd and in the winter I put plenty of weight in the bed for traction and I do some occasional towing also. Maybe if you didn't wanna do the air shocks you could go with load levelers in the rear with regular shocks.

Monroes are junk...this is gonna ruffle some feathers...that's why they are almost always on sale and always have some sort of free or discounted install. I've had more than one customer that was just simply amazed but removing their less than 6 month old Monroe's and installing KYB's. People think Monroes are awesome when installed because their old shocks were completley worn out but if they could do a "blind test" I could almost guarantee that they would never choose the Monroes...of course this is just my opinion

Thanks for the input guys. I figure as long as Im working on the suspension i might as well address the sway bar issues. I dont have the $$ for new sway bars yet so I was just going to replace the links and bushings. Is it even worth my time/effort to do them now or should I wait until I get a new sway bar and do them at the same time?

Jason- Your profile has no info regarding your Trac. If you have a Gen 1, (Pre '06 ST) make sure you replace the REAR Sway Bar FIRST. (Safety Issue)

Energy Suspension makes greasable brackets for under $25 a pair. Personally, I would save your $$$ and buy the Addco 633, before any other upgrade, if you have a Gen 1.

(Considerably less than the "X-Spec" RSB) After shocks, the BEST upgrade for handling, safety, and "bang for the buck". Most here will agree, no better upgrades, PERIOD.

Good Luck.

1. Shocks

2. REAR Sway Bar

3. FRONT End Links

4. ???

I thought I had updated my profile before so I tried again. I have an '04 4x4 with 53k on it. I just bought it and everything appears to be bone stock. I am going to get the shocks this weekend but didnt know if the links were something that would help on their own or if they would only help with a new sway bar. Looks like ill wait to get the links until i can get the sway bar too. Thanks for the help.

Oh, just so im clear (kind of a rookie) will i need new links/bushings for the rear if i get the Addco 633 rear sway bar or will what comes with it be sufficient.

Jason- The Addco 633 RSB comes with 1" O.D. sway bar brackets, and poly bushings (non greasable), that are adequate.

Use the Energy Suspension lubricant, almost a permanent lube. About $4 for three small tubes.

Last time I checked, Zabteck only sold the Addco 737 Front Sway Bar. (Check with Todd)

P.S.- You DO NOT need to change the RSB end link bushings when you install the Addco 633.

In fact, I would recommend changing the front end links FIRST, using the stock FSB. (Moog K7275)

Two kits needed, under $20 each.