Opinions on 2007 (buying)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think it is time to upgrade the 2001 sport trac. I have found a 2007 xlt 4x4. It has the v6 though. Any opinions on the v6? Is this a pretty sturdy and reliable year?

the v6 in the 2007 just didn't feel quite as peppy as my 2001 v6.

What are some other thoughts/opinions?

thanks,

Matt

The '07 back window is fixed, no roll down. The following years had various glitches fixed. Also the V8 is a better deal. More power, almost the same MPG.

The gen2 is heavier than the gen2. There fore the lack of power. Also with the electronic throtle body. Ford programed ramping into the acceleration. Makes for slower WOT take off.

I bought a 07, 6 cyl, 2WD, with a towing package, new and have had it ever since. I have been very happy with it. I have towed a lots with it and most things it doesn't notice. I once towed a 7200 lb boat 800 miles without any power problems, but, had a noticeable drop in gas mileage. I am not heavy footed and live in the flatlands. On the highway I get 22 to 23 mpg and around town I get 19. Only problem I have ever had was the cruise control sensor. It cost a $100.00, other than that maintenance free.

It seems very sturdy to me and holds the road well in the corners. It has been very reliable to me and I would not hesitate to buy the same year and model if given the chance. I just don't need a 8 cyl or a 4x4

Hope this helps

I have an 07 Limited (job 1) with a V6. It does have a power rear window which was option with the limited package. A bit lower gas mileage than Redfish mentioned but not too bad; maybe I need to let up a bit. A few issues with it - the radiator and thermostat housing developed a leak, the wheel bearings needed replacing and that means new rotors. I did it myself so the cost was a lot lower. The rear high mounted tail light is leaking ($80).

I would recommend the limited package if you can get it, just for a little bit more nice features. Also, many early 07's are missing the door arm rest handles and the audio jack. Easy fixes but still...

I really like my truck, especially for the price I got it for. I wish I had gotten the V8 package and 4x4. The V8 has the same, if not better gas mileage due the the transmission gearing I think.

Heck, I wish I just got an Adrenalin model, but that is a lot more than I wanted to pay.

I've owned both, an '05 Gen 1 and now an '08 Gen 2. Early 07's had a solid rear window but later they got a retractable unit. Gen 2's are heavier but also V6 models have 3.73 gears whereas many Gen 1's came with 4.10. Most of the extra length is in the form of rear seat legroom. Handling on a Gen 2 is so much better than a Gen 1 that it isn't even funny. :driving: Downsides, the Gen 2 is lower and not as off-roady and has traction control instead of a limited-slip rear. Also the bed is slippery and marks up easier, after a year I got a bed mat. On the other hand, the storage compartments in the floor of the bed are pretty cool. Same V6 they've always had minus the timing chain issues. I put a Gibson exhaust on mine when it was 3 months old and picked up a little power and mpg. Repair-wise the only issue common to Gen 2's is the front wheel bearings on 4x4 models. I've had the left replaced three times and the right once. Overall the Gen 2 is vastly better than a Gen 1 in every way except for off-roading.

Latest posts