One last vibration issue - hopefully

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith McElroy

Reaction score
I recently had a major vibration issue which, with suggestions from this forum, I managed to fix. Previously, my ST roared at highway speeds, but that was fixed with a rotation and re-balance of my new tires. Now, I have a bit of a "wobble" feeling in the steering and truck in general, at most speeds. I took the truck to the local Ford dealership, explained what the problem is, and left it for the day. When I got the tech assessment back, it described a "slight nibble" at driving speeds, but otherwise, "characteristic of the model" (I'll rate the dealer later):angry:.

I was unsure of the cause of this, but have narrowed it down to the brakes. It seems like one, or both, of the front rotors is slightly warped and causing the brakes to drag. The severity of the drag is changed by ambient outside temperature, water, and length of time between braking, which all support the brake theory.

The question is: Has anyone else had this problem? I drive a lot for work and, while minor now, it drives me nuts after about an hour in the ST. I wanted to make sure my theory makes sense before I order new rotors (I don't believe in turning warped rotors - if they warped at regular thickness, they will be worse thinner) and pads.

My truck stats are:

2004 XLT 4x4

Monroe Reflex

Yokohama Geolander G051

If it started after rotating the tires, I would go back to the tire shop and have them to check the front tires for tread runout. If there is none, I would bet they didnot tighten and torque the wheels properly and caused the rotors to warp..

JMO...if it started after tire rotating...

I believe this problem has existed since before I removed the Goodyears. I had an alignment done on it when the Geolanders were newly installed, plus I had the new tires re-balanced since. I have went through so many "adjustments" trying to get rid of the vibration that I'm down to two things:

1. The rotors are warped (as stated previously)

-or-

2. One or more of the factory wheels has excessive runout.

Maybe I will run it by the shop one more time and have them put on a set of steel rims to see if the problem still exists. They did this with my Mountaineer to prove how crappy the tires were on it, so maybe it will prove/disprove the brake theory.

Latest posts