One Key Left

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Stewart

Reaction score
Cannot find my last working coded spare key... can find keys from cars and trucks I no longer own but that's another story. My question is if I have one working key and another non working key can anyone other than the dealership program the second key for me? I also have the key code because when I went to the local dealership Apple Ford they told me that Ford purges the key codes after about 9 or 10 years so if you don't have yours go and get it. Done at no charge.

My '02 Trac only had 1 key when I bought it in Dec. Got a second key at WalMart for $60, programmed and ready to use. The woman who made the key stuck my old key in her machine and did the same with the new one. I think she just used the old key to get the code as opposed to programming the new key from the old.

Issue resolved went to Clark's Ace hardware in Ellicott City MD had to buy key from them but the hole process was accomplished in less than the time it took to walk to the front of the store to pay for the key blank! Total cost for key and programming was $74. Dealership wanted $19 for key plus $90 to program. Not to mention the 1.5 hours of my life that I would never get back...:banana:

Issue resolved went to Clark's Ace hardware in Ellicott City MD had to buy key from them but the hole process was accomplished in less than the time it took to walk to the front of the store to pay for the key blank! Total cost for key and programming was $74. Dealership wanted $19 for key plus $90 to program. Not to mention the 1.5 hours of my life that I would never get back...:banana:

Next question I now have 2 working programmed keys and tried the programming procedure in my owners manual for the 3rd key... no luck tried 4 times same result. Any tips would be appreciated.

" Next question I now have 2 working programmed keys and tried the programming procedure in my owners manual for the 3rd key... no luck tried 4 times same result. Any tips would be appreciated."

Likely dead key. Got one off eBay along with a FOB. Neither worked! No refund after cutting??? Has to be cut to program!?!? Not worth the postage to send back FOB. Am more careful now on eBay

The key is most likely fine. The new keys that are programed/copied in places like ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, etc are a clone of the key you took in. So the truck does not recognize it as a second key. The keys will start the vehicle, but not program a 3rd key. Because that process takes 2 different keys. I happen to be in the same boat.

your problem is you have a CLONED key. This means you have an exact copy of the working key,,, you DO NOT have 2 working keys. Cloned keys are convenient but CRAP! imho.... If you loose your #1 key and only have the clone, it can never be reprogrammed. The battery dies, you're done... Just noticed all I said is what David just said... I should learn how to read...

Last edited by a moderator:
dead battery will not affect key programing if you can find someone with a NGS just have them do a wipe keys... then use the keys you have one after the other to program them

Sorry to differ with you Roamer but I just took one apart yesterday for an Expedition, and BIG AS LIFE,, there was a battery in the head of the key.

An Electronic key contains a battery powered electronic circuit board rather than a transponder. This circuit board in this key mimics a transponder by transmitting a unique code signal to the vehicle?s on-board computer Electronic keys feature a two part design. The electronic components are separate from the blade.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts