OMG - The caliper piston just broke

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith McElroy

Reaction score
Great. I was swapping out the break pads on the front of my ST and, while compressing the pistons, one of them fractured (hello brake fluid). My easy, quick brake job, just became an involved one.

Anyone know if you can just replace the piston?

Probably not. Its more then likely that you could get the piston out, but chances of finding a piston (and rebuild kit) are probably slim. I'd almost bet you can't get it from Ford (they like to sell assemblies), and aftermarket parts I'm just guessing wouldn't pick up the slack. Could probably score a whole caliper from the junkyard for cheap.

Thanks Tiger.

I just looked up the caliper prices and they really aren't that bad. The last caliper I bought was a hard-to-find one that cost me over $300, but the ST ones are going for around $100 or less (unless I buy from the dealer).

Rebuilt/exchange calipers are cheap, at autozone, pepboys and advance. With a life time warranty. Most likely the other pistons are on the verge of deteriating..

I priced the front one from Autozone for you and it comes to around $52. I am guessing that Pepboys and advanced are about the same. Much better than trying to rebuild it.

Thanks, Matt. I looked them up on Rock Auto to see what the prices were, so I'll probably call over to Advance Auto here pretty soon to see if they have one in stock. What happened to the days when you used to actually rebuild these things?

They are still rebuildable, but its a matter of finding a kit for them.

Ya know, I didn't even think of the locals parts store, $52 is great price. Just got whole new rear brakes, everything but backing plates, and paid alot more then $52....stupid drum brakes.

If I want to wait 2 weeks, Advance Auto can get it for me. Haha

I decided to bite the bullet and called the local Ford dealer. Gonna pay more, but they can have it here in a couple hours. Waiting for the call.

If your brakes use metal pistons, they can be rebuilt, however I am not a big fan of rebuilding calipers because the cost for the piston and rebuild kits is at or near the cost of a quality rebuilt caliper from the local autoparts store. The piston (plastic on the ST) probably broke because the piston bores are pitted and corroded, so just replacing the piston will not solve your problem. Rebuild kits are OK only if your piston seals are leaking. You have bigger problems.

I replace my calipers with rebuilt units when ever I do a brake job. It cost a little more money, but I know my brake job will last and that I will have the best brake performance for the life of the pads. Never buy Junkyard calipers...They are not worth the money at any price. You can buy quality rebuilt caliper for a little as $20 to $60 a piece and you will get a 50K mile to a lifetime warranty. If the piston bores are too pitted or the caliper cannot be rebuilt safely, they don't rebuild them. I have nver gotten a bad rebuilt caliper.

I do a brake job between 45K and 50K miles and take my old calipers and receipt back and get new rebuilt calipers...The calipers may have cost me an extra $100 for the first brake job, but after that, it's free. If they ask why I'm returning them, I tell them they are sticking, and that's all it takes.

Also, you should never push your pistons back in without opening the bleed screw on any vehicle, especially with ABS brakes. You are pushing that cruddy dirty fluid that has been corroding your caliper bore, back into the ABS servos! That can result in some very expen$ive repairs in the not too distant future.

Yes, that means you will need to bleed your brakes when you finish the brake job, but it's recommended that you flush the old brake fluid out every 2-3 years anyway, so it's something that needs to be done anyway, so why not do it when you are doing the brake job?

Doing a brake job is not as easy as pushing the caliper pistons back in and slapping in new pads.... as many people would have you believe. I found that out about 25 years ago. Now I open the bleed screw and push the piston back in by hand. That allows me to feel if there is any binding or scrapping on the piston which tells me that the caliper bore is pitted/corroded and needs to be replaced. Using C-Clamps and such is what causes broken pistons like you have just experienced.

Take it from someone who has been doing brakes for well over 40 years...Do the job right and you will get many more miles out of your brake job then taking the cheap quickie way. Things that seem cheap are oftem more expensive in the end!

...Rich

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts