Oil question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been running Mobil 1 for a while now. Seems to work fine. Do a search of the forums. Others have used all sorts of different brands.

You guys/gals running full synthetic, have you noticed a slight increase in power/gas mileage using synthetic throughout the drivetrain?

The only reason I ask is because when I used to have the cobra, I noticed a difference from running full synthetic over the blend. Im coming up on a oil change in the ST and was just curious on what some of you run.

I've tried Mobil1, Haveline and Valvoline synthetics and found no mileage benefit vs. the Ford Blend. Only difference was the blend costs half as much. As far as engine wear, again, labs find no significant difference among the major brands. So if using full syn makes you feel better, then use it. The engine doesn't care and it will be just fine as long as you use any oil that meets Ford's specs.

Main reason I'm running Mobil 1 is I also run it in my work truck, which may see from 2,000 to 6,000 miles per month, and synthetic gives me a little buffer if I let it run a little long on the oil change interval. Usually I change it once a month whatever the mileage. I use the same oil in the Trac just to keep things consistent.

I agree with, Bill-E..The only time I will pay the High price for full syn is for performance cars that I run hard and push the oil change to 5to 6k miles. I see full syn as a waste of money for regular vehicles, that get regular oil changes.

10W30 Royal Purple. I got it because I like to go 10,000 miles between changes. Also one of the guys I work with knows a guy that works at the RP plant and gets me cut rate deals.

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic and Motorcraft filters. I get it at cost, and do changes every 3k +/- 100 miles. For something that cost what the ST did, I don't mind paying for things like that.

I don't have an ST, but I use Redline 5W-20 in my Honda Pilot. It's the only ester based Group V basestock true synthetic oil.

The difference:

Group IV oils are manufactured from synthesized hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbons are linked to conventional petroleum based oils. So in a nutshell, this group of oils is refined via a synthetic process to offer the best protection from a petroleum based oil. In the areas where this oil may be lacking, additives may be required. The problem with additives is that they may wear out quicker than the oil itself, requiring a more frequent change.

Group V oils are ester based. They have no link to hydrocarbons (petroleum based oils) and are a 100% true man-made synthetic. Since the oils are nearly perfect they require very little or no additives to compensate defficiencies and offer long draining intervals.

Group I - Solvent refined petroleum base stock.

Group II - Hydroisomerized petroleum base stock. Viscosity Index 80-119.

Group II+ - Hydroisomerized petroleum base stock. Viscosity Index 110-119.

Group III - Hydroisomerized petroleum base stock. Viscosity index >120. This gets to be labled "synthetic".

Group IV - PAO based synthetic.

Group V - Ester based synthetic. The only type of oil allowed for jet engines

Examples of oils:

Group III = Valvoline Syntec

Group IV = Mobil1/Amsoil/Royal Purple

Group V = Redline

A word about blends... If you add a drop of synthetic into regular conventional oil, you have a blend. There isn't a standard for what defines a blend.

Another word about intervals. Follow the owner's manual no matter what the dealer tells you. The 3K change interval is pure marketing.

Hope that helps!