Oil Pan Torque Pattern

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn White

Reaction score
I've been working on tracking down a minor oil leak that has been getting worse over time. My oil filter adapter was leaking at the mating surface to the block. I pulled the manifold and replaced the adpater, due to a tsb about the casting quality, as well as the seals. That stopped my leak there. But it still looks like I have a minor leak though. I've cleaned the area a few times to get rid of residule oil, but still see the leak. I think the leak is coming from the seal between the upper oil pan to the block mating surface. Or the rain main, (gulp...) I really want avoid having to replace this seal as I think the crank mains are bolted through the upper pan on the 4.0 SOHC. So that repair seems like it could be pricey and time consuming, and not worth it for a few drops of oil.

I was going to try and re-torque the pan, does anyone have the recommended torque setting for the upper pan bolts as well as the torque pattern?

I might try running Mobile 1 high milleage and switch to 10W-30 to see if that helps (I'm doubtful this will work), but I wanted to try and torque the pan first.

Thanks,

Shawn

I agree with l1tech. There is usually no particular pattern that needs to be followed when torquing pan bolts. I just tighten them all, more or less finger tight. Then I tighten the 4 corners to the torque spec's, followed by all the bolts in between....usually down one side and then the other side....but that's just me, not a mandatory requirement..:grin:

...Rich