oil level- HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I changed my oil today but when I started up the truck the filter apparently wasnt on tight enough and a bunch of oil came spilling out. yes I know....stupid. Anyway, I put some more oil in but the problem is the oil is so clean I cant tell what level the oil is at on the dipstick. This may be a stupid question but is there any other way to know where my oil level is at. I put 3 quarts in after i tightened the filter and just want to make sure i've got 5 quarts in the truck.

NEW ISSUE: See my reply below

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure the rubber gasket came off with the old filter, and isn't stuck to the block.

Happened to me. Tightened enough to stop the leaking filter, until it pressurized.

Spewed oil everywhere, on a hot engine. Very dangerous, and a real mess.

Check the discarded filter to see if the rubber gasket is still attatched.

If not, it's more than likely it's stuck on the engine block.

The oil level should be very easy to see once it's cooled and settled.

Use a clean paper towel or rag, and good lighting.

Jay,

I worked at a gas station while I was in school. In order to check the station underground tanks, I had to look at the dip stick at dawn. Something about the angle of the light. ' might help. Ed

Im note sure if the gasket already came off or not. Its a complicated story but in the end im not sure. The oil level looks to be fine but im concerned the gasket is still on the block.

I have another major issue though since the oil change. The truck starts incredibly rough and barely catches. Once it does the needles flicker at the bottom and just start clicking. It did this when the oil initially spewed out and i assumed it was becuase the system wasn't pressurized. Once I fully tightened the new filter the truck started fine but when i went to move it tonight it started rough again. What is going on? I've done plenty of oil changes and never had this issue before.

Jason- The guage started fluctuating AFTER you changed the Oil and FILTER.

DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THIS:

Drain the oil into a clean pan to reuse the oil. (Cold)

Check the oil filter base on the block for the old gasket.

Chances are, it's stuck to the block causing oil pressure problems and leaking.

Top off, run till warm, inspect for ANY leaks. Cool down, check again.

Heard a motor seize before? Not a pleasant sound or smell. (Expensive too)