Oil filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to be doing an oil change this weekend to full synthetic. My question is, if I get a K&N oil filter will it be okay for the 10k life of the oil or will I still need to swap it out at about 5k miles? Thank in advance for the help.

What oil? How long will it take you to get 10K miles? A K&N should be OK for that long -- as well as: Mobil1 (basically same filter), new Bosch DistancePlus

Probably using mobil 1 full synthetic and it will take me a year to get to 10k miles. I dont put on as many miles as most so I would prolly do my oil every yr or 10k miles.

A Mobil 1 filter has synthetic filter media instead of paper. This gives you uniform porosity instead of random as with paper media and hence better oil flow. I would run it for 10k and not worry about it. K&N oil filters have synthetic media also.

I have just switched to Mobil 1 EP and am using their brand of filter also EP = Extended Performance. I figure keeping the brands together is best. Got it all from Amazon. Go to Mobils website, they have a rebate if you buy the fluid and filter together. I am planning to do my oil changes at 10,000 miles. I'll put 10,000 miles ever 5-6 mos for the amount of driving I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony, i see advanced auto has a deal for 5 qts of Mobil 1 EP and a EP filter for $31. Im going to try and get farm and fleet to match since they are one of the participants for the rebate. Did you get it from amazon for less than $31. Seems like if i can get it for $31 and then after rebate only $16 thats a hell of a deal for synthetic and a filter.

I use Amsoil oil with an Amsoil filter. Change it once a year regardless of mileage. Trac has 105,000 miles and we have put another additional 65,000 miles on the Explorer doing that.

No issues.

Tom

I use Royal Purple and K&N filters and change it every 10k. No problems. RP recommends changing filter every 3-5k but only because they know there are cheap crappy cardboard filters like Fram out there that may not hold up for 10k. No problem with a quality filter like K&N.

(Why anyone would spend extra bucks for synthetic and then slap on a $2 filter is beyond me).

Last edited by a moderator: