oil change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Taverna

Reaction score
Just a quick comment. I went to change the oil on my 09 ST for the first time this weekend. Not only is the filter in an unbelievably tight spot, I couldn't get the damn thing off! The guy on the line must have tightened it so hard his wrist broke. Tried a filter cap and everything, but it's tough to get a wrench or a breaker bar and get good leverage. Just gave up to prevent any damage, and hopefully the Ford tech will allow me to loosen it the next time...

Anyone had a similar issue? Not sure if they've got a special tool that makes it a bit easier.

The one from the factory is always tight. I had to borrow my brothers nylon strap with sqaure tube, for 1/2" ratchet. I know of some that have drove large screwdivers thruogh them, to loosen. One friend had to tear his down to the base and use a hammer and chisel to loosen.

Good luck.

5991d13f2adbd9cb7ef144e53c1f9466.jpg

Let the dealership do it. Did you get free lifetime oil changes when you bought the truck? If not, at least when you change it next time, the filter may come off easier.

(ps) I know how most of us feel about going to the dealership and having our wallets emptied. In this one case it may be worthwhile. :unsure:

you could get a oil filter relocation kit and then mount it where ever you would like to...

I am considering doing this my self and adding an additional oil cooler.

-Don D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opps this wont work...Not sure exactly what you need for the v8 4.6L (the older one I posted apparently wont work)...

But I am sure one is available and I did find this for you truck...

-Don D.

Bob -- I didnt get the lifetime changes as I had to fly to Pennsylvania to pick up the exact truck I wanted. Several dealers in my area were no help bringing what I wanted in, they were more focused on putting me in a 2010, so I did it myself. Theres much more to this story but I won't bore you, it only raises my blood pressure.

Don -- I gave some thought to removing the bypass and installing a filter relocater, but I'm hoping after I have a Ford tech in my area do the first change, the filter won't be on so tight. My last truck was a Ranger, and boy was that filter much more accessible. Thanks for doing the research though, I appreciate it.

Ken

As my dad used to say.

They start building a car by laying an oil filter at the beginning of the assembly line and build around it.

Dad has lots of them...my favorite was his fatherly advice "Broads is like buses, another one will be along in 10 minutes".

I got a filter wrench that looks like this.

[Broken External Image]:

Grabs the filter from the bottom. Or buy K&N oil filters that have a nut welded on the bottom.

The K#N filters are the way to go. Every filter should have the nut on the bottom. Of course that doesn't help with your present dilemma. Perhaps you should have that first oil change done at the dealer.

Latest posts