Oil @ 123K

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep the oil specified in the owner's manual... Since you are in Mass, a thicker oil would not be good in your climate... I have used 5w-30 synthetic since day one for over 187,000 miles... If you have changed it regularly, you are good to go... If you must go to high mileage oil, use 5w-30...

Ditto what STanner said. I've run 5W-30 syn oil from the beginning and now have ~115,000 miles on my Trac. I've used both Mobil 1 and Penzoil syn, depending on whichever was cheaper. I've now settled on Mobil 1 high mileage 5W-30 and K&N oil filters.

I'm doing 10w30 Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic on my next change. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic on the last change and I don't think my truck has liked it very much. I've always ran Valvoline High Mileage in my '69 Cougar with good results and should have stuck to my guns.

I think you may want to stay with 5w30, though.

I have always used 10W30, but I live in SoCal and don't experience severe winters. With you living in New England, I would suggest you stay with the 5W30.

Hugh.. do you still have the 69 cougar? I had a 69 cougar XR-7. Britsh racing green with white vylnal top and white leather interior. I loved that car. wish I still had it

My mother bought it new off the show room floor.. and I bought it from her back in the late 70's

Oh yeah, I still got it. There are some crappy pictures of it in my library. I'll get new ones of it this summer, but I left it with my parents when I moved because I don't have a place to keep it garaged here, yet.

My dad bought it for himself after years of looking for one. Then after buying the XR7, he found a convertible two weeks later that he just had to have. My mom was saying that he had to choose one or the other and I was only a couple years from driving, so I got it!

I love the Cougar and hardly anyone knows what it is. I'm always the only Cougar at car shows. Gas station stops can become annoying when all you want to do is get gas and go, but people either want to talk about it or buy it. It's a rough life.

Latest posts