Off to Alaska!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
Leaving tranny trouble behind- flying out tomorrow 0700 for Vancouver, boarding Coral Princess monday for cruise to Whittier. Have booked helicopter glacier tour, whale watching and seaplane. Decided on Alaska over France after calling to book resevations in Paris and finding that the hotel we stayed in 10 years ago for $250/night (seemed like a lot back then) is now $900/night! We have never been to Alaska and although its overcast and forecast to remain so, we are hoping for a great time....:cool:

Alaska is absolutely beautiful. I was there in June-July '88 with the Navy. You won't be disappointed that you chose Alaska over France. Post pictures when you return!

My dad still owes me a trip to Alaska (from when I graduated HS in 2000). When I graduated college we were supposed to go, but he won airline tickets that could only be used in lower 48 so we went deep sea fishing instead. Caught a 40lb Tuna. But I would love to wrestle w/ a big Halibut (they tastse better!!)

Anyone ever seen "Into the wild"? Check out the magic bus while you're there.. I've heard it has actually turned into one of the main tourist attractions.. If you don't know the story it's an UNBELIEVABLE one... Must check it out. I read the book and just recently saw the movie.. One of the most amazing things I've ever read. Moral is, this guy gives up everything in his life (money, id , everything) to follow his dream of "taming" Alaska.. It's truly motivating.

A friend of mine just got back from 2 weeks in Ancorage, Alaska, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was his first trip after retiring. He said it truely is literally the last frontier. Be sure to take some time to see the sights in Vancouver too, as it is a really nice city.

I went to Anchorage and Fairbanks on a work assignment in April of 04, and I must say that it is a great & beautiful place to visit, but I would never want to live there. It was spring when I went and it was still freezing. Enjoy your trip.

Anyone ever seen "Into the wild"? Check out the magic bus while you're there.. I've heard it has actually turned into one of the main tourist attractions.. If you don't know the story it's an UNBELIEVABLE one... Must check it out. I read the book and just recently saw the movie.. One of the most amazing things I've ever read. Moral is, this guy gives up everything in his life (money, id , everything) to follow his dream of "taming" Alaska.. It's truly motivating.

Great book and a great movie. It would be cool to see the bus.

The wife and I went in Sept '06 took the inside passage up to Skagway. Sept is good they say for a couple reasons, overcast so it brings out the blue hues in the glaciers and also MANY whales at that time (they were litterally under our ship and along the sides) Skagway is full of history, so if anyone goes that way, I would recommend the White Pass Yukon train ride. I really don't think there is a bad time to cruise to Alaska and would love another trip again! Hope you have a wonderful time! I'd choose Alaska over Paris any day, the wife may dissagree, though...:unsure: and yes...LOTS of pics

here in alaska we didnt get our summer. it was crap weather, but you will be just in time for the state fair in palmer. and dont forget to get a piece of pizza from Zana's Pizza in the transit station on 6 and G.....i hear they have the best :unsure:

Latest posts