OEM Motorcraft Battery Eye Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
The OEM battery in my '01 Limited 4x4 V-8 had a RED eye indicator last night, so I put it on my little charger/maintainer. This morning the charger "fully charged" light was on, but the indicator eye was black. Electrolyte is full. Should I get ready to replace the battery soon, even though it starts the trac up just fine?

I called the dealer and he said the OEM battery warranty was under the 36/36 warranty. I have 34,000 miles and have owned the Trac for 42 months, so no warranty on the battery.

If I need one, I will probably just pick up an Auto Zone DuraLast Gold for it.

Thoughts?

My 2001 Sport Trac had some starting problems that appeared to be caused by a weak or bad battery. The dealer checked the battery and said it was fine...even though the battery indicater lit up yellow?

A few months later the battery was dead. I jump started the truck and took it to my dealer and I arrived will 11 miles remaining on my warranty :banana: They gave me a new battery under my warranty and kind of laughed that I got my battery replaced with only 11 miles left on the 36K mile warranty :grin:

...Rich

Just replaced my Interstate battery. It was in the truck when I bought it...in 2006.

They make a good battery.

I replaced it with a AutoZone Silver for $127. Figured I don't need a seven year battery.

I recently replaced my battery in my 2010. I was getting an airbag light on start/warm up. Swapped in a AutoZone Dura last Gold and good to go!

Funny thing is I read in Consumer Reports that they actually rated Walmart's Everstart batteries the best over Interstate, Diehard and Dura last.

I recently replaced my battery in my 2010. I was getting an airbag light on start/warm up. Swapped in a AutoZone Dura last Gold and good to go!

Funny thing is I read in Consumer Reports that they actually rated Walmart's Everstart batteries the best over Interstate, Diehard and Dura last.

Even funnier, all those batteries are made by Johnson Controls., and probably on the same production line!

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a "Duracell" battery in mine from Sam's Wholesale Club. It is actually made by Deka. Had it a year so far with no battery issues.

Even funnier, all those batteries are made by Johnson Controls., and probably on the same production line!

They could be built to different specs, though. I worked for a local battery distributor from '86 to '95. I made a trip to Johnson Controls in St Joe, Mo, and they did make both Diehard and Interstate there. That was pre-WalMart. I had a mechanic friend who owned his own shop for years. He swore by Interstate (which he sold), but wouldn't have a Diehard if you gave it to him and warrantied it for the rest of his life. I never did tell him they were built in the same factory.

I have seen 3 Auto Zone batteries go "bad" because of the terminal holes (side terminals) wallowed or the bolts stripped. The battery was still good but you couldn't connect to it so it was not covered by warranty.

I would do a load test if you have a tester or run over to Autozone and get a load test done for free. If battery and alternator check out I would keep running it till the battery dies or slow cranking. It may be bad or it may last you another year or two. Don't know unless you get the battery load tested.

Another thought... Is the truck on a level surface? Those green things in the battery are just a ball that rises far enough to be seen when the electrolyte in up to snuff.

Latest posts