OEM Hard Tonneau Cover Repaint?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
My OEM hard tonneau cover on my '10 LTD has some scratches & scuffs in it for the previous owner. Thinking of making a weekend project of re-painting it. Looking for recommendations in what to use. Rattle-can black? If so flat, satin, or gloss? Or, should it use the bumper/trim paint? Or how about PlastiDip? Thoughts?

Personally, I would go with Rhino-Liner or Line-X Spray. Don't know that you can buy it as a DIY, but taking to one of their shops should guarantee a great job with a warranty. You can also change the color if you want to.:grin:

...Rich

Thanks, but I don't want to invest that much $$$ in the project. I merely want to touch it up so that it looks better for selling. My ultimate goal is to sell it and replace it with one of the BakFlip-type covers. They weren't around when I had my '04 Trac, nor do I beleive they were on the market when the Gen 2's first came out. Now that I've seen them, I like them much better than OEM. They're much lighter, and have a much lower profile than the OEM cover.

If all you want is a touch up on the tonneau cover to sell it, have you tried any of the commercial products like Mother's Back to Black, or those vinyl wipes they sell in those infomercials on TV at 3am..LOL Depending on how bad the scatches and scuffs are, the results will probably be the same since they will only even out the color variations but will not fill in the scratches or scuffs...just make them a little less noticeable.

...Rich

Krylon Fusion satin black works pretty well on the factory tonneau cover as well as the plastic parts of the running boards.

LOL, didn't even realize it was the same guy asking pretty much the same question just three months later...:grin:

Well, crap. Totally forgot about discussing this a few months ago!:banghead:

If all you want is a touch up on the tonneau cover to sell it, have you tried any of the commercial products like Mother's Back to Black, or those vinyl wipes they sell in those infomercials on TV at 3am..LOL Depending on how bad the scatches and scuffs are, the results will probably be the same since they will only even out the color variations but will not fill in the scratches or scuffs...just make them a little less noticeable.

I guess I didn't describe the flaws well enough. They're spots where the black paint has been worn off, and you can see the gray primer underneath. So none of the detail products like B2B will work. However, they're not physical scratches that you can feel. So I think that a rattle-can or two of the Krylon paint might work. I may give it a try.

I've already painted the steps and rear bumper trim with DupliColor Bumper and Trim paint. That's great stuff! they look like brand new. I'm going to paint the hood cowl piece with it this weekend.

Latest posts