oem bed cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph call

Reaction score
i just installed the brackets for my new(used) cover using this instructions(below)

i dont have a key for the lock and the cover sorta just pops up with a little pull. my question is...

is there any chance wind from traveling high speed can open it?? thanks and sorry for the dumb question, but i dont wanna find out first hand or anything.

joe

You may need to tinker with adjusting the bed mounted striker bars to insure the cover latches are getting a full grip on the striker bars. There is not a whole lot of adjustment, but it only takes a fraction of an inch to make a big difference. You can always take a small dremel tool with a grinder and slightle enlarge to holes on the striker bars (mounted to the sides of the bed) to give you a little more, up-down, and front-back adjustments.

You probably should get keys made before you try adjusting the cover or it will be a real PITA to open the cover, make an adjustment, close the cover, open the cover make an adjustment, etc.

The other thing is that you may have defective latches but that you will have to chech after you get the strikers adjusted and know the latches are getting a good grab.

...Rich

so just checked, im missing the lock closest to the cab...do i really need a lock to hold the cover down? ive adjusted all i can without power tools, is there any way to use it safely without keys? until i figure something out, can i fold the front to the back and drive like that? thanks again for any guidance!!

When I bought my used cover, I didn't have a key and the cables were loose. So to be on the safe side I ran a heavy duty zip tie through the latch mechanism and then the striker bar. This ensure that the bed would flip open.

You could do this to the top half of the cover to be sure it doesn't flip open at high speeds. One on each side.

oh well, i just ran my green cam straps/hooks across the forward most half and have the stock bungees hooked underneath on the back. ive seen far worse being from tennessee. maybe ill get some black straps for a better look!:grin: thanks again everyone

Latest posts