OE Tonneau cover cable broken...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The cable that attaches to the center lock on the OE tonneau cover snapped yesterday. One side is still attached but the other is broken away from the part that attaches to the bottom of the lock so, the lock just won't work. I am planning to get to the dealer later today to order the parts. How bad of a fix is this? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

BTW this forum is great. I read daily, but don't post very often at all. Thanks.

The cables are a common failure.

More often, they stretch and the lock does not work. Essentially, stretching and breaking have the same end result though.

They are a pretty easy fix. Several here have done the repair. From what I read, it is a pretty simple thing.

You have to replace the entire cable release assembly which includes both cables and the release mechanism that attatches to the bottom of the lock cylinder. Removing the old plastic housing off the bottom of the lock cylinder is probably the hardest part. I used a pair of channel-lock pliers and eventually got it off.

...Rich

We need to do a group buy on these suckers. My rear one broke and I operate the stupid things by hand when needed (crawl into the bed and trip the latch with a finger).

We may need to see if someone will sponsor a group buy.

Latest posts