ObamaCare Incompetence

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Obamacare Incompetence....this is from a die-hard Democrat journalist and on TIME non-the-less. Maybe the lights will come just as to what is and will happen with this lousy pice of legislation.

http://swampland.time.com/2013/04/02/obamacare-incompetence/

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, They should have voted on it before they read it.........:bwahaha:

Or did I get that, sdrawkcaB......:cheeky::grin:

Still waiting on my free phone.......:banghead:

Obama also said that you could keep your old healthcare plan and your premiums would not go up under ObamaCare. Now it was recently announced that was not really true, since some people actually will have to pay more? Of course this was not announced by Obama himself, he palmed that job off to his Healthcare Reform administrator to explain it.

Of course the House and Senate Republicans went ballistic, and then it was just as quickly swept under the rug, and nothing else has been mentioned in the media since?

...Rich

Obamacare would work much better if two things changed:

1. Get rid of the insurance company profit motive.

2. Make health care providers stop gouging the system.

Just bein' real, homies.

Obama Care will put the insurance companies and health care providers out of business.

It's a path to Socialized Medicine. Give it free and cheap at first. Take over the industry. Increase the price. Use the money to buy more votes/cell phones.

:smack::smack::smack:

Health care costs are out of control. I recently had an MRI and X-rays as well as numerous examinations by various physicians for a back problem. The bill to my employer provided health insurance so far has been over $7000 and they have not done a flippin' thing to cure anything yet. Every penny of that has been just to diagnose the problem. I hate to think what the bill will be when they actually do something. Fortunately the insurance company has negotiated the cost down to a fraction of that amount. If I did not have insurance I would not have the negotiating power they do. I have no idea how to solve the problem but I'm pretty sure Obamacare ain't it.

There are many things wrong with health care and most of them stem from legislation, malpractice and government programs that don't pay.

I pay a premium for our health insurance provider's best plan and it's not much more than our Edge payment. If your health insurance is "too high" and it's anywhere close to your car payment, maybe your priorities are out of whack. JMO

If you are uninsured and have a car payment, shame on you for making us pay for your bad choices.

If you are uninsured AND don't have a car payment, cell phone, cable, etc. and just can't seem to make ends meet, I'd love for my taxes to help you out. I don't get to choose where my taxes go, though. Ask your congressmen about this.

That $7000 bill will be negotiated down to about $1800 by the insurance company and the hospital/doctor will voluntarily accept it. That's what modern health insurance is... a discount program. In the meantime, the guy without insurance has to pay the entire $7000... and if he doesn't, the hospital will garnish wages and take him to court to get their money.

This is what happens when Americans don't shop around for health care. They think, "Insurance will pay for it." I don't know about others, but I shop around for the cheapest MRI and CT scan. My local hospital charged $2200 for a sinus CT scan. I found another hospital nearby that said they'd charge $1200 and accept a 20% discount for cash. Guess where I went. That's the responsible thing to do... it's everyone's DUTY to help keep health care costs down.

That $7000 bill will be negotiated down to about $1800 by the insurance company and the hospital/doctor will voluntarily accept it.

Meanwhile, the same bill sent to Medicare/Medicaid would be sent back with a non-negotiable payment of $900 while costs of provision were $1400.

Meanwhile, the same bill sent to Medicare/Medicaid would be sent back with a non-negotiable payment of $900 while costs of provision were $1400

And right across the Canadian border, the cost to the hospital for the CT is $600 and Canada Health Dept. pays $900.

There might be a wait for an elective procedure, but then, I've waited six months to get in to have some elective dental work done in the USA. I know that in the UK, there's about a three week wait to get bunion surgery. However, urgent and emergent stuff gets in right away just like in the USA.

I hope to someday be as healthy as a Brit.:bwahaha: Next you'll be telling me British humor is the most funny and Canadian beer tastes best.

I had my shoulder surgery, non-emergency and essentially elective, on the day I chose (of his surgery days) the week following diagnosis with the best orthopedic surgeon in the southeast, in the nation if you read Lifestyle magazine.

Edit: looked up some info I incorrectly posted. He is not the one that performed surgery on Smoltz, but his group did, Resurgens. His credentials are widely known, though. Dr. Gary S. Simon for any who would care.

Oh, and the bill was minimal. Like write-a-check-on-the-way-out-minimal. Complete shoulder reconstruction.

Does anyone know the actual percentage of people that do not have insurance or are self ensured that actually pay the full hospital bill. I would think it is very small.

As one that has used the hospital insurance coverage extensively and am getting increasingly closer to getting 100% of my money back. I look at the bill. It is outrageously high. I looked at the amount my insurance company actually pays it is very small. I now look at the amount that Medicare pays and it is outrageously low. I don't see anyway that the hospital or a individual provider can provide the service they provide for the revenue they receive.

I agree with Hugh 100%. I have always had health care coverage. I am now on Medicare and I have kept my private insurance at the tune of $400 +a month to cover any extras. I have no doubt that I am going to loose my private care coverage and access to the very good doctors I have. I also know that I am going to have to pay more for less coverage. In the near future, I am going to have to become self insured to be able to get the good care that I need for the rest of my life.

I feel sorry for those younger than me when it comes to quality health care. But, it is the path they (the majority of the electorate) picked.

Hospitals and clinics charge too much. There is no reason a 2-cent Tylenol should cost $22 and a $300 MRI cost $5000.

Cancer patients with Medicare being turned away

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/03/cancer-clinics-are-turning-away-thousands-of-medicare-patients-blame-the-sequester/?hpid=z1

Well yeah. If they are old and the Death Panel didn't approve the treatment, why would they be covered? No RIO for the government. It would be cheaper to let them die... :angry::fire:

Mark,

I may have some idea why a $300 MRI cost $5000.

A facility must submit what they charge for a procedure.

For a $300 procedure they choose to charge $5000.

The facility must then charge that approved fee to everyone. The cannot be move it up or down for say a self insured individual.

The insurance company or government decides what to pay the facility for the procedure based on what they say they are going to charge.

They pay the facility $250.

The facility has to take that amount as full payment.

Under the system if the facility says $300 they would get $20.

That is the system the facility has to work with.

Stupid yes. Is it the facilities fault? Some poor guy is sitting in a office somewhere trying to at least break even on a 5 cent pill?

Clinics and Hospitals are closing all around this area. If they were making big money the would stay open.

If they charged 2-cent, government programs would pay 1-cent. If they charged $300 for the MRI, they would receive $12. They mark-up to account for being shorted. The government does not allow the market to work, therefore there need to be adjustments to account for that.

Took my wife to the ER last week because the Urgent Care was closed and she needed a strep test. I wasn't happy to pay the $250 copay but I didn't think it was unfair either. $250 for a trip to the ER is a bargain, IMO. My father in law, also a physician, could not diagnose without the test so he sent us somewhere that had the tools to do so. It takes specialized knowledge and very expensive tools to do something as simple as diagnosing strep. We could expect that it just be given to us because of it's mere existence or we could recognize that physicians spent a lot of time and personal capital to gain that knowledge and the hospital spends a ton of money to operate and offer that diagnosis to us. Within a half hour of leaving the hospital, we got a phone call to say that it did not show up as strep but would find out for sure when the culture came back. How expensive do you think it was to do a culture sample that had to be transported from our small town hospital?

We paid $9 for thirty amoxicillan. I paid more at the grocery store for each of the five other individual non-prescription medicines to help her along.

I expect our insurance premium to go up by as much as 30% just next year and I fully intend to pay that premium to keep our great insurance and access to the best doctors my area has to offer. What could be more important? I don't think I can afford to put my family on government scrutinized care. I'd rather have a profit-seeking company trying to keep me as their customer than a bureaucrat using a Cost Benefit Analysis to determine my care.

The government can regulate minimum standards of health provision as they have done and the costs will be high for compliance and improved health standards as private providers do what they must to provide the best care and be profitable. Or the government can regulate costs and standards and get inefficiency in both as private providers cannot do both for free. The government will then claim a market failure, gov't caused, and take over health care entirely. We then end up with substandard care and high costs unevenly distributed through taxes.

If you want VA-level care, the kind provided to our most deserving of Americans, you'll soon get it without having to join the military. Sure, it may be cheap. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. My father-in-law quit working with the VA when the first contract with them ended. He said it paid well but the practice of medicine was nearly the last concern and he didn't become a physician to fill out paperwork. He would have remained a pharmacist (something else he did for a year) if he did.

BTW, I am in grad school to essentially become a bureaucrat, working on my Masters in Public Administration. I have covered the Cost Benefit Analysis so many times it's obviously the method of preference in government. I prefer Rational Choice myself, but there's just no time for that.:banghead:

Perhaps I should look for a career in the medical field. Could be lucrative for a bureaucrat as I could get in on some of that dwindling physician money with 1/4 of the education and 1/1,000,0000 of the training.

:banana:

Latest posts