O.T.: Got to report for jury duty tomorrow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, I feel for ya... I get out of it almost every time. I have members of my family that are in law enforcement. It's the 2 days of sitting around before you get out of it that sucks! Say "Hi" to Ray for me!!

But see, then folks wonder why idiots are acquitted or folks get multi-million dollar settlements in questionable medmal cases. It's because the country's brain trust used their melons to avoid jury duty, and left the easily swayed, driven-by-emotion yokels to the jury box.

Adam very true...However, tell the Court House to pay my daily salary and I'll quit trying to get out-of it.

Food on my table is more important than a bullshi* business contract lawsuit that needs a jury.

These are the cases I get called for all the time.

tell the Court House to pay my daily salary and I'll quit trying to get out-of it.

Civic duty? Seventh Amendment? If you were the plaintiff suing some purchaser or supplier for breach of contract--especially when the amount is quite significant, and especially in the situation where an educated jury is necessary for the determination of whether there was a breach, if it was cured, etc.--you'd want someone like you on the jury.

You're not going to convince a guy who, on May 18, will start with one of the largest law firms in the world that it's okay to miss jury duty. But, then again, my salary will cover jury duty--assuming I'm not the victim of a peremptory challenge because some attorney doesn't want another dissecting his legal theories... :)

To each their own.

I don't mind jury duty. I do feel like it is my duty. My company covers my salary when I have it. I think they feel like that is their duty. It can be a pain sometimes, but then I was taught at an early age that it is not, and is not suppose to be, all about me all the time. Sometimes it can be about someone else. I would much rather have a trial decided by a jury than left up to a judge whose political leanings may very well cloud his judgement or present him with the chance to support whatever agenda he may be promoting at the time. I hope that if the chance arises, the justice system will be there for me, and I won't bellyache over a little aggravation when it's my time to do my part. I was in a jury pool one time where there was a guy who was obviously trying his best to get out of duty. The judge obliged him. He found him in contempt and had the bailiff take him away. I wanted to stand up and applaud!

Good luck Rodger.

Also, "what Adam said". Many often like to bitch about lawsuits and verdicts and such then at the same time try to get out of jury duty. Like everything else (the legal system, government, a relationship) you get out of it what you put into it.

TJR

George Carlin said that to get out of jury duty, say how happy you are to be there because "I can spot a guilty person (snap) just like that." :lol:

My mom was on a jury a couple years ago, after what she told me I said that if I'm ever on trial for something I'll waive my right to a jury and take my chances with the judge. :wacko:

Civic duty?

I know a guy who got called to jury duty, and ended up on a jury that was hearing one of the big "state of Xxxxxx vs. the tobacco industry" cases. It went on for multiple months. During that time, he had no source of income. Which meant that he couldn't pay his bills--couldn't pay the rent, utilities, car loan, or child support. Because it was a sequestered jury, he wasn't able to make his visitation appointments to spend time with his daughter. With no child support payments or visitation time, his wife took him to family court to get his visitation rights taken away. He tried several times to claim hardship to get out of the jury duty, but was denied every time, and was threatened with contempt of court jailtime if he didn't stick with it--and, he was still actually believing the whole 'civic duty' crap, and tried to stick it out. He got evicted form his apartment for not paying the rent. His car got repossessed for not making payments. With him unable to make the court time regarding his visitation, his wife was awarded sole custody with no visitation rights. His household property was sold, and the proceeds were given to his ex-wife to cover some of his missed child support payments.

This was all in the late 90's, when his daughter was 6. She's now 15. It was just a year ago that he was finally able to win back some reasonable visitation time.

You know how sometimes you'll see that there's a benefit dinner being held for someone who has some illness, or their kid has some illness, or they were involved in an accident, or the like, and the insurance was insufficient to cover their new needs? There were benefits like that held for this guy--and for at least half of the rest of the jury as well.

Oh, and the case whose jury he was on? After more than four months of testimony, and a couple weeks of jury deliberation, the two sides settled the case out-of-court. The nearly five months of their lives spent on the jury didn't even get rewarded with getting to have an impact on the decision.

Don't start spewing that ridiculous crap about 'civic duty'. The only people I know of that gave more of their lives to civic duty than this guy are soldiers--and they get military pay. People on jury duty deserve at least some reasonable monetary compensation for their time, particularly if their employer doesn't cover such time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill V, I like your point of view. I couldn't agree more. I got picked for 2 cases a year ago and it's rediculous. My work actually covered my pay, but for me to have to go through those cases was BS. Both defendents were guilty as sin, and just trying to get out of what they did. The $3 a day I was "paid", doesn't make up for the crap that I had to sit through. The JUDGE was even caught by myself and other Jurers falling asleep on the bench. I'm serious. Civic Duty my butt, I know now, I will do wgatever possible to get out of it the next time. Not worth anyones time. Let the welfare people do it. Most don't work anyway. They have nothing but time to kill. Just my opinion, so don't try to kill me.:D;)

Civic duty? Seventh Amendment? If you were the plaintiff suing some purchaser or supplier for breach of contract--especially when the amount is quite significant, and especially in the situation where an educated jury is necessary for the determination of whether there was a breach, if it was cured, etc.--you'd want someone like you on the jury.

You're not going to convince a guy who, on May 18, will start with one of the largest law firms in the world that it's okay to miss jury duty. But, then again, my salary will cover jury duty--assuming I'm not the victim of a peremptory challenge because some attorney doesn't want another dissecting his legal theories...

To each their own.

I'm happy for ya. Good luck with it.:cool:

I've been called for it twice, and I wanted to be on a jury. They kept sending me home, though. Apparently, I'm too honest.

Got stuck on a three month trial back in 80s, 4 days a week. Worked one day a week. But employer paid me my full wage. Of course I did have to turn in the paltry $12.00 a day I got for jury duty pay.

Was in new residence here since Sept 06 and got Jury summons month or two ago for July-Aug-Sept. But will be gone for month of July. Don't know how they will handle that.

Being in law enforcement I am never picked for jury duty. I kind of wish I was. I would have no problem with it as I feel it is everyone's duty and people have no right to complain about criminals getting off if they will not take their turn at jury duty. My name just came up for jury duty again but I'm sure I will get dismissed, I have always thought that they might have me do a civil case or two but not so far. I feel that I could keep an open mind and be fair even in a criminal trial but of course no defense attorney wants a cop on the jury. Many employers will pay your salary while on jury duty up to a certain amount of time. My wife just had it and wanted so bad to get out of it and was going to try her best to use my occupation as an excuse. I convinced her that it was her duty and to keep an open mind and do what she thought was right and not to talk to me at all about a case until it was over. It worked out fine and she actually didn't mind it, she thought it was an interesting thing to be a part of.

Many employers will pay your salary while on jury duty up to a certain amount of time

Yeah, that is great, but what about all the self-employed people. They have a business to run and if they are gone for multiple weeks they could loose clients, plus no one covers their lost income.

What Dingo said. Been called twice, and once I nearly made it on a jury. I was somewhat enthusiastic to be part of the process. I didn't get picked due to being an only child so I couldn't relate to the defendent who was accused of attacking her brother. Sorry Adam, when you talk about "civic duty" that's horse poopie. A jury of your peers shouldn't consist of only people that can "relate" to a case.

Latest posts