O/D Off Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sorlie

Reaction score
Did some work yesterday on 02 Gen1 V6 2WD Trac I used to own and passed on to my son. While on test drive I noticed that the O/D disengage switch on trans lever doesn't seem to be working. The dashboard light does not illuminate when I push the switch, and O/D doesn't seem to disengage either while in motion. The transmission seems to operate normally otherwise. There is a 30A cartridge fuse in the underhood box that the diagram labels "Powertrain control." Hard to tell just by looking at it whether it's good or not. Any thoughts?

that fuse is for the main ECU, I think

Sounds as if the bulb is out. If the trans functions as it should.

Fuse checks good. Switch on trans selector lever does not disengage the O/D when actuated. Think I need to check that out next.

On my 02 the light doesn't come and the OD doesn't engage or disengage because the actual wire cable inside the shifter broke. For some reason at least on mine there's not enough slack to allow the wire cable inside to move without damage/stretch when selecting gears and eventually one to many shifts caused the cable to break. I haven't taken the time to

fix it as again there is not enough slack to work with once the OD cap/switch is removed and part of the cable is inside the shifter stick. Haven't had any problems with it like this.

Latest posts