O/D Light Flashing, No Fifth Gear

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Lonker

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I need some opinions on what this could be. Driving to work yesterday, I felt my 01 ST 4x4 shutter when going into fifth gear. It slipped out of fifth and my O/D light started flashing. The truck wouldn't go into fifth the entire drive. When I went out about an hour later, it was as if nothing happened. Shifted fine into fifth and no O/D light. Haven't had any problems since. I haven't found anything online as to what it could specifically be (pretty much anything according to other explorer forums). Any ideas would be great!

How many miles are on the truck, and when was the last time you had the transmission serviced (fluid change or fluid flush) ?

It could have just been a transient gremlin. Occasionally the computer can have a momentary problem (usually memory corruption) and need to be rebooted (restarted). Not much different than PC's, Smart Phones, etc. When you restarted the truck, it resets/reboots the computer and that probably cleared up the problem.

I would not worry too much about it unless it continues doing the same thing again, and more frequently.....then you need to have the trouble codes read to determine the sources of the problem.

...Rich

The computer software rebooting idea is worth a try. It costs nothing. To speed it, I would try disconnecting your car battery and then reconnecting it.

I had a different transmission problem, what seemed to be a flare or slipping when upshifting from 2 to 3. After a few weeks it went away and hasn't come back after several years. So I'm guessing it was just a software learning problem that had to be unlearned.

I disconnected the battery for about 15-20 minutes and so far everything seem ok. I will just have to see if the problem returns in the future. Thanks for all the help

Yes I did check, no codes. If I had my reader with me when it happened (with OD light flashing) I would have probably been able to read the code. I now keep the reader in the truck with me in case it happens again

Latest posts