now were talkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drive mine daily. I've put almost 10,000 miles on it. The only problem I've had is a coolant leak due to a loose clamp.

Supercharger reliablity is 100% dependent on boost. At under 10psi...your not risking anything.

The 5.0 swap will still not be as cost effective as a built, blown 4.6 today. I can't speak for tomorrow though.

+1 on Carey's supercharger comments. :supercool:

I like to think a test drive Carey had one day last summer made him a believer. I know is son approved. :grin:

I'm fortunate to have 22,000 miles on my Saleen setup, has been my daily driver since new, have had zero SC issues, improvement to driveability is pretty darn good, especially with a Torrie tune. Have yet to hear anyone get comparable performance in a modded 4.6L ST, in a stable and proven setup for less $$. I guess it depends on what somebody wants to achieve. It's great to see others try different mod approaches, and wish they kept making the ST to see if they would ave eventually stuffed a 5 Liter in it. Having had 4 Mustang GT's over the years, my favorite was a 5.0L. Wouldn't trade my current setup for anything though... other than maybe wishing mine was an Adrenalin. :driving:

I'd have to agree with Carey too. I would sooner put a blower on my 4.6 than do a whole motorswap... 10+ years from now when my motor is done and I need to put in a new one because Ford still hasn't offered a worthy replacement to the STA... That'll be a different story...

I do wish I could put a manual in the truck! I don't like anything in an automatic unless it's got paddles - and not those glorified select shift craps, I'm talking fast shift paddles. I could probably burn $10,000 to custom install a manual on our 4.6... And that's not worth it now either.

Doesn't anyone have the link to the EF thread on Steve's build? I can't seem to find it over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
10+ years down the road, if I still have the STA...I would consider a complete, built rebuild of my 4.6 or a drop in crate 5.0 with some manifold adaptor for my Saleen TVS.

So that TT4.6 on the other forum only made 314 to the wheels. It was in the shop for months, probably cost more than the Saleen conversion because of all the fab.

Just makes the 400whp $8500 Saleen conversion, that takes 3-5 days to do, look even better IMO.

Loved their work and the blog but man....really let down by the numbers. Wasn't Doug Potts's STA pretty close to that NA?

My complete deal was wrapped up for under $12,000 - that sounds tall but to alter the whole look tastefully and get to play with the GT500 guys, earn respect, and turn heads really can't be compared to a 5.0 swap even if it gets tons of press - I also studied the 5.4 swap that was done on this same unit - reviewed the power loss issues, the trans issues, and was not that impressed. This research pushed me to the blower upgrade on the 4.6.

I would personally really love to see how a 5.0 forged stroker kit and a re-tune on the blower combination would spice up the current combo... In addition to this, a AWD bypass switch for a better launch.

My tuner says if we go that route, we are switching to a whipple and with the stroker he believes we will increase RWHP by 150. Nevertheless, being bold on a huge project is fun to watch.

Latest posts