Now a 3 explorer house....Water pump decision - 94 explorer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracN Jack

Reaction score
Went outside to go shopping, was going to take her explorer...

She says Honey why is there such a big puddle under my truck?

She moved the truck and I checked the fluid, looked and felt like radiator fluid.

Had her park it.

She said the car had not overheated on her.

When we returned from shopping I investigated the problem. Fluid was low in the radiator, crawled under to take a peek and found rusty water stain down the front of the oil pan, hoping it was hoses, got the flashlight out and found the stain eminating from the shaft area of the water pump.

anyone replace a water pump yet on an explorer?

Question, This should not be that hard to do yourself.. right. I used to be a wrencher on engines. but gettin a lil older a dont want to get that sore. :)

I want to replace all of the hoses and the serphintine belt while i am in there. I checked at Napa,Kragen, Autozone and I can get all of the parts for around $160.00

I called the local pep boys and they would do it for roughly $820.00

They wanted to run a cooling system pressure test first, to make sure there engine was not damaged by the water pump ???? WTF?

the truck has roughly 110,000 miles without any major drive train issue except for pinging on low octane gas

The truck is not worth that much on book value and was going to be most likely replace next year. I just want to keep it going for a while longer.

anyway should i do this myself or pay the $$$ to have it done?

Last edited by a moderator:
BS on the pressure check. You might want to get a flush if you never have. Go somewhere else. PEE boys are jerks.

Honestly the hardest part of the job is getting the fan clutch off of the water pump if you don"t have the tool to do it, if you can get your hands on the tool than it is easy-peasy.

Jack, if you would like some assistance, I'd be more than happy to help you. I do have mechanical experience and can bring my tools.

As noted, the fan can be a challenge... It is NOT the traditional left hand thread...

I have watch a good many men tighten the hell out of it only to find out they were turning it the wrong way...

Do it yourself. If you lived close to me, I would be next to TRACet Paul helping you.

Drive it home. Unless the water pump exploded, nothing got ruined.

Tom

Well.. not going to fix the explorer....

We bought another one! a used 2007 Eddie Buaer 4x4 Cherry Clearcoat with Camel interior

We have our sebring sport coupe that the wife decided was to low to the ground and unsafe on the freeways because no one could see her. We were wanting to sell it anyway and still owed money on it We traded that in!

We will sell 94' the explorer or donate as is to a non-profit and use it as a tax deduction next year.

Anyone looking for a 94 to work on? already has the explorer Xpress XSPEC swaybars on it! Jet Chip. Needs a water pump hoses, and s-belt.

With 103K on it it should need some additional suspension work.

So right now we are a 3 Explorer house.... :lol::lol:

[Broken External Image]:

The new Explorer has 21k miles on it and is in perfect shape, has a FULL bumper to bumper warranty to 100K, full air bag system , 3 row of seats

at $5000.00 less than the current book value $27,450 :) and 7K less than is was listed at the dealer last week

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts