Not sure...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hello All,

I don't even know exactly what this part is (never had experience with transmission). Can someone help me by identifying and telling me what this fluid is? It doesn't leak enough to drip on driveway.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Benny- Your picture is way too big. Use SCALE IMAGE at the bottom of your library.

I'm sure someone can actually see the fluid leak and help you now.

Your pic re-scaled at the smallest 10% setting:

[Broken External Image]:

No problem bro, we've all been there.

Easy to delete and rescale at any time.

Now, about that leak. LOL

The fluid is trans fluid. If it is not dripping dont worry about it. But keep your eye on it. The black thing is the tail shaft seal. Someday it might start driping.

You can replace the seal, in place. Drive a screw driver into the metal and work the seal out. you can slowly tap the new seal in or use a seal driver. Or a large socket, pipe etc.

Just mark the position of the rear flange on the driveshaft. pull the bolts and slide it out of the trans.

before re-instaling drive shaft. Clean the rust you see off the the front yoke. where it slides on the seal. Put a thin layer of grease on it. Also put some grease on the splines inside the yoke. Make sure to bolt the rear of driveshaft flange where you marked it.

Latest posts