Not again!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
My truck broke yesterday on the way to work. I was two blocks from home and heard a bang, then scraping of something on the road. I knew exactly what it was. The shock absorber mounting plate had rusted out on the right rear axle/leaf spring and the shock absorber extended to full length. The same thing happened in November 2014 to the left side. I called work to say I'd be late. I limped the truck to River Valley Ford. There, I asked them if they could quickly bring my truck in to the shop and remove the shock absorber. They did and as the tech was working on it, the shop manager wrote up an estimate of the repair. $250, including a new plate, U-bolts, and labor. That's what it was last time. I was only 20 minutes late to work. I can drive the truck in the meantime and it'll be fixed on Wednesday.

These are stock pics... not my truck. It gives you an idea of what rusted out.

6fd2a176a8f599a27b9f3d215b894e1f.jpg

f01fda3826917d8baed73b472f4ca2ec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Mark, I thought that I lived in rustvill USA.

The ST I have is a 2001, always in Iowa, these parts on mine are still good. replaced the shackles (rusted out) in 2014.

this spring will check out these shock mounting plates.

Dennis

Latest posts