Noisy Tire Question -Michelin

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
2003 ST 4WD with 160K - I've had Michelin LTX M/S-2 tires on the ST for the past 60K miles, and noticed for the last 1000 miles or so that there seemed to be a dull roar coming from the wheels/tires that started soft and increased in volume as the ST went faster. I assumed this was because the tires were nearly down to the wear indicators.

So last week I had my local Mavis Tires shop put on a new set of the same tires and to my dismay, the roaring noise is still happening. The first set of LTXs definitely did not make that noise until the very end, so I'm not willing to accept that this is just how noisy LTXs are.

Is there any other part of the wheel mechanism that could cause a roar that corresponds to the speed of the vehicle? I've also noticed that it stops briefly when the truck "lifts" going over a bump and when learning hard into curves. Coincidentally, during the ST's last oil change (about 1,500 miles ago), I let Mavis rotate the old LTX tires for me. Is it possible that something other than the tires is causing the noise?

I'd appreciate any suggestions that I should check! Thanks!

might be your wheel bearings. mine where getting loud blamed tires, finally changed both front bearing and now quiet

Agree on wheel bearings but drive train parts that turn are also possible causes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had the alignment checked? I had this same issue with my trac as well. The alignment would go out causing the front tires to start cupping on the inner edge.

My wife's 2010 Honda Pilot has 63,000 and is running the factory Michelin LTX M/S tires. Her tires are getting really noisy lately, even though all four are wearing very evenly and do not seem to have any cupping, etc.. My guess is that this may be a "design characteristic" in these tires to encourage you to start thinking about replacement. These tires were so incredibly quiet up to now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Gavin:

So last week I had my local Mavis Tires shop put on a new set of the same tires and to my dismay, the roaring noise is still happening.

Gavin:

Quote:

So last week I had my local Mavis Tires shop put on a new set of the same tires and to my dismay, the roaring noise is still happening.

Well slap my ass and give me $100! That was the second mistake I made this year! (The first time was when I thought I had made a mistake, but I was mistaken.)

I am betting a bad wheel bearing. Happenend to me a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts