Noisy front-end during very cold temps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
Gen2 V8 ST is almost 5 years old with 91k miles. During very cold weather, I noticed that it sounds like something in the front-end is rattling when I hit big bumps in the road. It's only during very cold weather and there is no feeling of this transmitted to the steering. It's just a lot of bumping/thudding and only comes when there are big bumps in the road. I'm assuming it's the fluid in the shocks, but if anyone else with a Gen2 ST had these symptoms, and it was something else, let me know. I go over the entire front end looking for any problems every oil change / tire rotation and everything is good and tight.

FYI: It started doing this in June '10 when in MT one morning when it was cold but hasn't come back until these very cold temps hit MD a few weeks back.

Thanks!

Pat

Not sure if my experience is applicable as I have a 2001, but I had a similiar problem. Every bump, I would hear a loud rattle/squeak from the front end. If I just washed her, i.e. undercarriage powerwash, no rattles/squeaks until a few days later.

The fix was worn ball joints, went with Moog brand and no more noise. From what I have read, and my own experience, thse ball joints like to cause us headaches.

Tim

Thanks for the reply. I had a similar problem with the connecting links on my rear stabilizer on my old 2001. I even thought about that being the case with my '07. However, in my case, even when it's wet, I get the noise and it's more of a thud (no squeek or rattle). It's like someone pounding the frame with a log. LOL, best I can describe. Dad seems to think it's just the fluid in the shocks losing viscosity due to the low temps. Shocks are working perfectly as is the suspension (no weird tire wear, etc.), so this is a tough one for me to diagnose. Thanks again.

Latest posts