No light for cruise control buttons

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
I just noticed that the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel don't light up anymore (the On/Off for the cruise control). I have an extended warranty, but would rather just take care of this then make a special trip to the dealer. Is there an easy way to replace a bulb for this?

I believe the light behind those buttons is an LED.

Maybe someone will chime in to verify.............

That in mind, may want to have the dealer do it under warranty. LEDs are not hard to change, but finding the right part number may be a pain. I do not know if Autoparts store stock much of a selection of LEDs....

Last edited by a moderator:
they aren't led, but impossible to find.

you can order a #73 led bulb from superbrightleds.com without a base for the bulb.

Then you can solder the bulb into the circuit board in the cc pod.

you need to figure out which is the + and - leads though.

easier than it sounds, but I forgot which lead on the board was + and which was -.

From Ford you can not order the bulb. It come as a switch assembly.

As noticed above you can change it, just not to easily..

THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME WITH THE RIGHT SIDE CC LIGHTS. FORTUNATELY THE FACTORY WARANTEE WAS STILL EFFECTIVE.

DEPENDING ON WHICH EXTENDED WARANTEE YOU HAVE, IT MAY BE COVERED.

i WOULD LET THEM DO IT. THEY HAVE TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG TO GET IT DONE.

LED emitters are ideal for this application. As cheap as LED's are nowadays, all cars should use them instead of old-fashioned incandescent bulbs.

There is no need to disable the airbag unless you need to remove the steering wheel horn cover to plug in the connector for the CC switch. This might be your problem if your CC does not work at all.

All you need to do to get in there is disconnect the battery cables, wait 15 minutes, pop 2 bolt circular bolt covers from the sides of the steering wheel behind the horn cover, extract 2 bolts, pull off the cover / airbag assembly gently and hold to the side. You will see the airbag connector and wire. You may leave it alone and make sure you didn't dislodge it, or you can unplug it and be sure to plug it back in when done.

You shouldn't wear any clothing which generates static while doing this (wool, fleece) and you should discharge static from your body by touching metal on the car's body (door metal), I keep my driver door open and keep my leg touching the bottom of the door when I go near the airbag, or you could get one of those anti static wriststraps from a computer store.

You'll see a small black flat plug that runs to the CC switch pod. The CC switch is actually a circuit board inside a rubber cover, it has a few silver pins that run out of it and into that black plug. Make sure it is plugged in.

If you have removed the pod cover, the only way to put it back in is to place the circuit board in the rubber cover, then snap the whole thing back in place making sure the pins go into the plug, and the plug is seated properly.

So far I've gone to LED's on both CC pods, all my instrument cluster illumination, my headlight switch and 4WD switch. Oh and my license plate lamps also.

Well I have said this before the same thing has happened several times on my 2001. Just take your hand and smack the back of the buttons everytime for me the light came back on.

Me too!!! Mine have went off and back on a few times...generally it just comes back on by itself!! It's kinda crazy..just never know if you are going to have lights or not! LOL LOL

Tracielynn;)