no left rear turn signal sometimes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
first problem with my trac! lets hope it will be the last for a while! here it goes hope someone can help! left rear turn signal doesnt work with tilt steering all the way down works about three notches up just fine i know its a broken wire just wondering if there is a replacement harness as i dont want to scotchlock it together i want to fix it right any help? btw its a 2003 trac

I don't think there is a harness fix other then the cut and splice....

Call our Ford sponsor and ask them if they know of any thing.... I know I don't..

Todd Z

Common problem. The wiring haness in the steering column is to short. I think they remedied it in the 2003's. I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to get into there and get alittle more room on the harness to remedy the problem. (that's what we did on my father-in-law's ST);)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could go to a junk yard and get the wiring harness off of a '04 or '05. I'm sure they are around. Maybe even CoastieJoe can help get you one.

thanks for the help any one know the part number for the dash bulbs as long as i got it apart might as well change them too !

There is a connector in the steering column that holds all the wiring for the signals, horn wipers and cruise systems Even the headlights go through that connector for the bright/dim control as well as the ignition/starter wires. My 2001 had this problem.

If you remove the lower cover you can see the connector and you can feed up a bit mor slack into the colum so that when you tilt the wheel it does not pull on the wires and separate the connector. Sometimes just pushing the connector back together is suficient while some have pulled wires out and may need replacing.

Since the signals only work sometimes, would indicate that perhaps the wire is not broken but the connector is getting pulled apart and pulling up a bit more slack in the wires will eliminate your problem.

...Rich

thanks rich i hope this is the fix but after a quick glance it looked like the turn signal wires where on top not sure though didnt feel like ripping it all apart without the dash bulbs will be a weekend project

194 is the number for the bulbs. (6 of them);)

We did what Rich said to my F-I-L's ST, then we put some zip ties on it to keep them from pulling the connection apart. Easy fix.;)

Latest posts