no 4wd low!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan Lipinski

Reaction score
Hi guys, haven't posted on here in a while but im back with an issue. I no longer have my 4wd low. i know the correct way of engaging the 4wd low and i can hear a kind of nasty clank when it trys to go into low but it doesn't engage. The weird part is if i do this when the engine is off i can hear the t-case motor and it goes into 4wd low no problem and the dash light goes on. So what would cause it to not engage when the engine is running, im hoping i don't have to drop the transfer case...

That "clunk (or clank)" is typically what I hear when mine engages.

What, exactly, are you doing to get it in to 4WD low while the engine is running?

How do you know that the 4WD low engages when the engine is not running; do you then start it and it works? If so, does it disengage while running? In what position is the key when doing this?

im putting it in 4x4 high then neutral with the brake depressed and then switching to low but i know its not in low. i can hear the shift motor with the engine off so i know that is working. The light and 4wd low doesn't come on when its running but when the ignition is on but the motor is not the 4wd low light comes on and i hear the shift motor changing its position, i haven't try ed starting it after to see if it stays in low but i will go ahead and do that.

i can hear the module clicking and hear the clank when it trys to go into low but its as if something is not catching and engaging, how exactly does the transfer case engage low range, is it gears or clutches?

It's a chain-driven transfer case with gears.

Is it possible that, when the engine is not running and you hear the 4WD shift motor and clank, that it is not actually in 4WD low, and it's actually no different than when the motor is running? This seems more plausible.

i mean i could just pull the shift motor off when its "in" 4wd low and see for sure but im 90% sure it is in low because the low light only goes on when the engines off and not running, the shift motor is within a year old but it is a reman unit.

im going to check tomorrow if it stays in low if i engage it with the engine not running, start it and test if it is actually in low, my 4wd high works perfectly tho

Eliminate the obvious first: What is level and condition of your transfer case fluid? I'd address/correct that before considering parts replacement.

ive always kept fresh fluid in it but i will check the condition of it now in case something went wrong in there, is it possible that the shift motor isnt holding it in low?

I think you're referring to Borg-Warner; look for an i.d. plate riveted to the transfer case. I'd also suggest searching YouTube for some DIY videos on Ford Explorer 4wd problems.

I think you're referring to Borg-Warner; look for an i.d. plate riveted to the transfer case. I'd also suggest searching YouTube for some DIY videos on Ford Explorer 4wd problems.

How'd that engine not running-engage 4WD low-start engine test go??

I just checked mine and it does not shift in to 4WD low when the engine is not running. The light will indicate 4WD low, but the transfer case is not in 4WD low. I doubt that it will shift in to 4WD high with the engine not running (but the light will indicate such).

I would remove the shift motor and bench test it. I would also check for a short or bad connection in the wiring.

You haven't noted whether you have verified it is in 4WD (high or low) by driving it. Have you tried to verify whether it is in 4WD by driving it?

Go ahead and check the fluid, but remember that this transfer case is continuously driven and the fluid lubricates the bearings. If the fluid level or condition were low or bad enough to cause the 4WD high-low shift to not occur, the bearings would be fried.

Oh - Assuming a 5R55E transmission - Borg Warner 1354.

ok so i was just playing with it and 4wd low defiantly works but only if i do it with the engine off, if its on i switch to 4wd low and it makes a nasty grinding noise and no 4wd light or engagement. i did get it to switch back to 4x4 high with the motor running once without any problem and the second time it grind ed hard but still went back into 4x4high. could the shift motor be weak or Ive hear people say there is a way to reset the motor but i don't know how other that unplugging the battery. I just find it weird that i cant get it to go into low with the motor running, how the hell is that possible.

How did you verify that it is in 4WD low? I don't know how the light gets the signal to illuminate (position sensor in the transfer case or the shift motor), but the best way to tell is to drive it (the gear ratio will be noticeable).

Grinding, not clunk? The clunk is normal (for mine), but grinding can be a sign that the gears are not fully engaged.

If this is a case of binding (binding that may not be present while the engine is not running, even though the transmission is in neutral), you may be able to coax it in when running by accelerating (a BIT) while attempting to make the shift to 4WD low. The idea is to get the transfer case gears to move a little.

i can tell for sure its in low, lot more torque. It sounds like the gears aren't fully meshing together, i mean i guess i can live with the extra step of shutting the engine off to go into low since i rarely use it.