NJ STer enthusiasts assistance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector Colon

Reaction score
Good Morning guys,

I'm lookiing for some help from my fellow ST lovers. I have a 2001 ST Job 1 and will have a little cash to do some needed work. I am looking for a mechanic/garage that will do my front and rear timing chains at a reasaonable price. Obviously not looking to get robbed by a dealership, but need someone with experience that will do the job correctly. I love my ST and want to keep her on the road. I have about 160K on the engine, just changed the front and rear tensioners, but ironically, now i'm hearing a slight chain rattle in the rear, even though there's a new tensioner. Rattle was not there with the old tensioner.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, the engine has to come out for this job.

Do your research for sure. A good price is nice,but.

It takes special alighnment tools. I would not want to be the first one the mechanic has done.

If the rattle is only on start-up and certain rpms. I would switch to a 10-30 oil. Dor hot weather maybe 10-40 oil. At 160K miles it wont hurt.

Are you sure the tensoner was proper done?

Eleminate the possibility of an idler or something that is belt driven.

Defining "reasonable price" would help here. What is your budget for this repair? Pulling an engine out is a Big Job, and you're going to find other things when you do. You'll need to park extra money for those so you don't end up unable to complete the job. Have you looked at cost of a replacement engine? I agree with Eddie - try a 10W-40 oil first.