Nice Work day 60K and 140K mile services !!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Today Paul H and I serviced the heck out of our ST's.....

I changed Fuel filter, Front / Rear Diff / Installed Trick Flow cover/ Transfer case / Transmission Fluid / Coolant /motor oil.

Paul Changed Front / Rear Diff / Transfer case / Fuel Filter / Coolant / motor oil / T-stat / Upper Rad hose.

We used the Zabteck shop's Lift and started at AM took plenty of breaks and finished up around 3PM....

All Fluids were Royal Purple / Ford coolant and generic Fuel Filters.

My Rear Diff fluid looked like TAR !!!!! man after only 30K miles on the OEM Ford fluid it was SHOT !! I am glad I changed it....

The front was not too bad and the other fluids were good...

The tranny fluid was as red and clean as the day i put it in !! ( See pic) It has about 20K miles on it, many track and dyno runs, and some long trips !!!!

Paul's Rear diff fluid was OEM with all of the 136K miles on it.... Tell you what it looked like it could go another 30K !!!!

I was impressed by how the NON limited fluids looked, Even my front Diff and Paul's Front Diff Looked like they had more life to them...

I guess the Limited slip clutches kill fluid...

ENJOY some Pics..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yeah had a blast!! The lift made it SOOOO much easier....

Yeah George, while you were stuck in traffic we were having fun!!!:p:p

Jeff...what can I say, the thought and feeling of tranny, rear diff and motor oil on our hands was just not that appealing.:D:D

Paul H

Jeff...what can I say, the thought and feeling of tranny, rear diff and motor oil on our hands was just not that appealing.

plus its a known carcinogen

Besides turn you into a rolling billboard for trickflow (for those who tailgate you in low cars), what does the TrickFlow differential cover do?

Man, that is one rusty trailer hitch :)

The lift looks lopsided in the picture...maybe it's just me?

Tom,

Naw, I like their stuff, But no stickers for me.... I think my cover came with one also....

Jeff,

Babies, ok, when your hands rot and the skin cracks and they look like crap, i will have to shake your stump because you hands are gross or rotted off.... :D

Kevin,

On the ST it holds about 1 more pint of fluid and looks good...... :rolleyes:

In a racing and towing application the thrust bolts ( the 2 in the middle) press ever so slightly on the main bearing caps, this helps prevent the caps from flexing under racing or heavy loads. IT can help prolong the rear in that situation.....

Thanks

Todd Z

Naw, I like their stuff, But no stickers for me.... I think my cover came with one also....

Stickers like that look good on tool box's. Not into the stickers on the vehicle.

Tom

Kevin L, yeah, it leans a bit, but who cares the lift was free..... :D:D

Al, not my garage, Friends shop, I can use the lift for things like this if i need to..

I can even do work on customers cars there and My friend does not care..

Todd Z

Can't beat a free lift, especially one that doesn't fall down on you ;)

So now I know why people buy the trickflow cover. I didn't find any reason why elsewhere, but admittedly, I didn't look very hard. The advantages you list actually make it sound worthwhile.....

But now I know....and knowing is half the battle.

I wish I had a garage to work in, so you're one step ahead of me, Big Al....I have a soggy ex-herb garden to play with (ST doesn't fit in the puny garage, even empty, with enough space to work...the garage couldn't even fit my lesabre well...it's destined to be the RAV4 hut...for eternity)

Jeff...what can I say, the thought and feeling of tranny, rear diff and motor oil on our hands was just not that appealing.

I remember falling asleep under the car one time when working on the transmission, and waking up with transmission fluid in my hair!:eek::blink::wacko:

Todd, your post inspired me to change thetransfer case and rear axle of my wife's Outback yesterday. It was a piece of cake--took 15 minutes from start to finish! I filled 'em up with Mobil 1 75w90, so they are good to go for a long time. At 31,000 miles, both of them had a small amount of "metal dust" on their magnetic drain plugs, but I cleaned them up and filled them back up.

My Trac only has 12,000 miles, but all the clunks and clangs as it goes into 4WD has me concerned, so I plan to change its transfer case lube next weekend. I got a real hard slam this afternoon driving in the rain--I was stopped at an intersection that has a railroad spur running across it and must have had a rear tire on a slick rail, because it slammed VERY HARD into 4WD for just an instant. My wife nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard the hard "CLANG". Is Mobil 1 ATF the general "best" to use for the transfer case?

Gavin,

The 07 saya it take 1.5 qts of ATF.

So you can use any regular or synthetic ATF fluid, NOT mercV...

Todd Z

Latest posts