Newbie Shock Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt NA

Reaction score
Just a quick shock question: I just received my Rancho RS5000 shocks from Sam's Offroad for my '01 ST. When I took the shocks out of the package, I noticed that all of them were fully compressed. Is this normal? Do I just pull to extend the shock?

I read and re-read both of the shock install projects, but I didn't see anything mentioned about the shocks being compressed when new. I guess it seems weird to me because I remember years ago when my dad installed shocks on his trucks, the shocks were held compressed in the package with a plastic tie. Maybe the way shocks are shipped is different now?

I went for the RSX's from Sams. Mine were wired to a compressed state out of the box. Only thing I can figure is that they do that to fit smaller packaging / box. But with that said, the old shock fully extended fit back into the RSX box without a problem. Tells me something about the OEM's!!!

My 05 ST has 17000 mi on it now and when I changed the shocks (few days ago), the left front & rear were dripping / leaking oil already. Who the F*** does Ford think they are kidding with these sub-par components? Guess they want to gouge owners with a big bill for shock changes before they warrant changing. Possibly a dealer incentive?????

I don't know, Have had several new GM, Chrysler & foreign products without having to changes OEM components to compensate for cheap factory P'sOS.

I could go on and on but I suppose they are where they are because of conditions such as this. And I'll leave it at that...

In conclusion, after changing the OEM shocks to RSX'S...I couldn't be happier with the immediate change of ride. Now for the lowering & addition of Todd's throttle body (when available of course).

Then dream that one day both the front & rear sway bar $ dips into my range...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the rs5000 is a gas charged shock. That is why they are compressed without a tie wire. I went with the rsx, great shock...

RS5000's, as Fast Eddie has already said, are not gas charged shocks.

There is nothing wrong with the shocks you got. Pull them apart and install them. Enjoy the ride.

Tom

Don't take the wire off until you want to install them!!!!!! Get them in place first, then cut the wire, otherwise you will have a hell of a time to compress the shock to get it in place. Just trying to make it easy for you. I cut one too soon and it took me three times as long to get the one shock in place as it did for the other three.

I agree with ScoTt. Especially the rear shocks.

Anybody that has not changed out their terrible oem shocks are just clueless to how well the ST is capable of handling.