New wheels and TPM sensors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Cox

Reaction score
Ok, I decided to get some new complete set of wheels, with the tpms installed and all so that I could run my other wheels and tires in the winter time. Everywhere I shopped said they could program the tpm sensors. So when I decided to go through with it, I bought a set of sensors and bands off of e-bay and after they came in, I ordered my new wheels, sorry but my wife has our camera and I can not post pictures of the new wheels as of now buy I will. Went to get the wheels and tires with sensors installed, but the tire place could not program the sensors, they even took it to an auto repair place next door and they said they could not access the proper part of the ECM to get the sensors to program. They then asked me where I got the sensors and I told them and they just laughed. I e-mailed the seller of the sensors and he told me I needed to take them to a Ford dealer. Talked to a friend of mine and said it would probably cost about $75. So I bit the bullet and called my dealer, Barkhouser Ford in Danville, Va., to set up an appointment. Went by there to get it done and was outside looking and slobbering, lol, all over the new Mustangs and F-150's when the service manager came out and handed me my keys saying it took them about 5 minutes to program the sensors and when I asked how much I owed them, he said nothing.

So if any of you plan on doing this, be careful of the wheel dealers claim to be able to program the sensors. You may have to take them back to your dealer.

Also, I would like to make a call out to my dealer, Barkhouser Ford in Danville, Va.

When you rotate the tires you have to reprogram the sensors because the setup notes each wheel's position on the vehicle.

Not true, at least on my 09. Maybe on earlier models. I've had the sensors completely off the truck for about a month when I changed wheels. I have also had the tires rotated. The sensors worked when I had the old wheels and tires in the bed.

Be sure to fill out a "Dealer Report Card" (See "Resources" on the left under the site guide)

That was a good dealer experience...

EDIT.. Nevermind, you already did. Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
If you bought the oem sensors. My understanding is they will reprogram themselves, after 20 tp 30 continous miles.

Sounds like varied experiences. When I had new factory TPMS band straps installed on a set of Adrenalin wheels I picked up, I had no tire monitor fault or tire sensor fault for about 2 weeks, then it started. If the truck sat over the weekend, on Monday it would be fine for a few days then come back on. I ended up paying the dealer for 1/2 hour labor (minimum charge) and they reset all 4 wheel sensors. No problem since. :grin:

Unless someone had first hand experience on the $20 tool I'd be leary. From what I was finding online (on another forum), and researching on the ford tpms, you'd have had to spend upwards of $130 or more for for a better scan tool\monitor given the way the system works. That's why I thought it cheaper to let the local Ford dealer sync them. I couldn't find a volume tire store around me who had a reset tool.

Those that had good luck without doing anything extra or had a generous dealer experience, congrats! :haveabeer:

I have had no problems with the sensors that came with my truck after rotating tires, do have to drive a mile or two to reset when I have changed the tires. With these new sensors, they first went off after about 50 miles, and then everytime I started it the alarm went off unless I let it set overnight and then it took about 15 miles before they went off again. I too would not trust the $20 e-bay scan tool, at least not for Ford products. The place I had my wheels mounted and the repair shop next door could not get them to program with their programmers and I figure one or both had a better tool than the e-bay one, only my Ford dealer could do it, and they are Ford oem sensors.

Latest posts