New Tires for 2010 STA!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a lot of research and decided on these:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza P265/50R20

After having my forst set of Pirelli's stock tires wear out at 25K and then the second set at the next 25K mark I decided these don;t wear very well. I went with a wider and higher tire which looks a lot better in my opinion. These are warranted fro 65K. I'm much happier with the ride and handling versus stock.

I went with a set of Nitto NT420S

They were on sale when I bought them, paid $550 for a set of 4. They are a little higher now but still a great deal for an awesome tire! very happy with them. I'm not sure of snow performance though, I have another set of wheels/tires for the winter. If snow is a possibility for you might be better to go with a more traditional tread style.

I also up sized to a 265/50. It was not a very noticeable difference on sidewall height but made a big difference on width. It may just be the Nitto tire design but they are noticeably wider than the stock tires in 255. No rubbing issues and hardly any speedo difference

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered a set of Cooper Discoverer CTS tires for my 2010 Limited. Got a great price at Sears- valve stems, mounted, balanced, tax, disposal fees, etc. came to $613.02, plus I got 5300 ShopYourWay points and an $80 rebate from Cooper. Can't beat that with a stick!

Was going to get the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/As, but couldn't pass up this bargain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my opinion and everybody's got one, but from many previous experiences ...'93 Explorer Sport, '01 ST, '05 ST and w/getting over 100k miles on some sets that's the tire for me and my ST family.

How many years and how much tread was left @ 100k?

If you are a soft driver might have been ok for you. If not if you were close to the wear bars and about 4yrs. They may have actualy, been past there life. After 3yrs tires get what they call friction hardness, from rotataing on hot pavement. Durometer test have prooven this to be true. That it the point to where many think they are getting great milage. The truth is the tire rubber is hard and true traction is lost, but milage can go up, at about 3/4wear. For me I dont push my tires that far.

I wont buy off the wall no name or store brands. I will stand by my thoughts on any tire that charges extra for the name. This is not a put down. Im older than many on this board. Many cars, 4 at a time, many performance also. Probably been thru more brands and types of tires than most. I dont have a favorite though.

Peace out.....

swshawaii ... the LTX M/S on the "93 Explorer Sport & '01 & '05 ST's.

EddieS'04 ... I'll have to look it up my service records for you as far as how many years & I don't run my tires to bald!

on my second STA, have been running the Firestone Destination ST 255/50 happily for the last few years after being aggravated by the short life of my last set of Pirellis. I'm getting ~50K miles or so which I'm happy with and love the feel of the tire, it also sheds water well. I drive mostly hiway and keep them about 45psi.:driving:

Latest posts