New ST Owner and Site Member

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn N

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Just a quick hello after buying my "cherry" 2007 Sport Trac 4.6L V8 Limited this weekend! :)

My previous vehicle was a 1990 Jeep Wrangler 4.2L that I've been driving for 22 years, made before airbags were standard equipment. It was a lot of fun but I'm ready for an upgrade. It took a long time to find something that caught my eye, and the Sport Trac hit the mark. I found mine at a dealership a couple of hours away from the San Francisco bay area... only 40,000 miles, clean and loaded with almost every feature I'd want.

I'm looking forward to pulling on the group knowledge and enthusiasm here on this site.

A couple of questions to start:

1. I don't have a bed extender but think it might be useful primarily as a "grocery bag corral" for use by my spouse. Any opinions on the usefulness of the bed extender accessory? Anybody got a lightly-used one they'd like to sell?

2. I don't have wheel locks yet and live in an area where crime and vandalism is of concern. I plan to pick up some locking lug nuts this week but am wondering about how best to secure the spare. Any suggestions for spare wheel locks? I'd prefer something other than a cable so it won't rattle.

thanks and cheers,

shawn.

[Broken External Image]:

The roll cage makes an excellent grocery corral. It serves as a nice divider too. Of course, it provides piece of mind when unsure if something you want to haul will fit in the bed alone.

Welcome and nice Trac. Love that Cherry color.

:welcome:

Nice color..

As for wheel locks. Ilike the Gorilla lock brand, The keys do not strip out. Even with impacts

:welcome:

Found in projects section:

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a bed extender after I bought my truck, and find it quite valuable to coral small items. I use a bungy strap to secure items right to the extender. I see them for sale often on eBay, be sure to get a Gen 2 (black finish) rather than Gen 1 (bright finish). Be aware that you may have to buy the attachment hardware separately (my Gen 1 needed two pivot pins about $15).

As far as the spare lock, I think the way the spare is attached makes it hard to steal unless the thief happens to have a Ford crank to lower it.

Welcome aboard! :driving:

Hey Shawn, Welcome to our group. You'll find lots of good things here as well some pretty smart folks. We take our trucks pretty serious. you'll find higher, lower, faster and really fast ones here. As far as parts, one of the site sponsors(Torrie) can get Ford parts at quite a discount. Click on the link below, enter info about your truck, then go shopping. Torrie can find almost anything. Bob :welcome:

Welcome! :supercool: Yea, bed extender is a must have in my opinion. Very usefull! But you will need to buy the hardware, no big deal. easy to install too. Just remember to lock your bed otherwise its too easy to steal.

Cant help you with locking rims, sorry.

You will find anything and everything you need here. There are no stupid questions, so ask away, you will be sure to find the right answer!

Thanks for the kind welcome! I'm a reasonably handy fix-it kind of guy, so I'm excited to have a new project where I have an excuse to buy parts. :)

I've already got a couple of questions lined up so I'll browse the archives and post if I can't find what I'm looking for.

cheers!