New Sport Trac the hard way

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hicks 2

Reaction score
Well my 2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin is no more. A lady in a 2002 Sport Trac pulled out in front of my wife who was driving our Sport Trac. My wife T-boned the other lady, crushing the entire front of our Trac. My wife got some bumps and bruises, but basically okay. The other lady appeared okay but was taken to the hospital for neck pains. The other lady got charged for failure to yield, so her insurance company is going to pick up the tab. We ordered a 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin that should be in today or tomorrow. My question for everyone is, has anyone had a Sport Trac that was totaled and what did the insurance company use to determine the value?

They consider the current value and if the repairs exceed 80%, they total it. Or at least that's the way it use to be. Glad the wife is OK, but you will enjoy the new Adrenalin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Oh they already said it is totaled. I am wondering if they use Kelly Blue Book, NADA, or some other guide to obtain the value of the vehicle.

This depends on your insurance company. If you have a good insurance company (Anything but Allstate or Nationwide) to deal with, they usually give you NADA or KBB retail.

I had a tree fall on a car and American Family gave me NADA Retail.

A friend totaled her Land Rover. She had Nationwide Insurance. They offered her $6,000 for it. They said they DO NOT USE and book values. They gave some BS line that their adjusters know the true value of vehicles and go from there. About 10 minutes on the internet, the average price of that same vehicle was $10,000. We printed those out and she gave them to the adjuster. A little arguing here and there, threated with a lawyer, they finally offered $10,000 and are going to pay the sales tax on the replacement vehicle.

Things to remember. Insurance companies ARE NOT YOU YOUR FRIENDS. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. Anything they they ask, such as "Are you allright", is not because they care, it is BECAUSE THEY ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO ASK THAT.

This is war. Get your ducks in order. Research! Search used vehicle listings. Pick exact year, mileage, options, etc. Get a true price. Stand your ground.

Insurance companies are not in the business to give away money. Thier employees get bonuses on how much money they save the company.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. I have Allstate and the other lady had Liberty Mutual. At first, my Allstate agent said let Liberty Mutual handle it. Well, 2 weeks later, they still had not accepted liability, even though their insured gave a statement admitting fault and was charged at the scene. I got frustrated and called Allstate. They told me in 2 days, last Friday, that it was totaled. They are determining value. They will then go after Liberty Mutual for the money. According to my research, My Sport Trac Adrenalin is worth on the low end $14,000 and high end of $17,000. I probably won't argue with anything over $15,000.

I know all about fighting insurance companies. I am a deputy sheriff and I serve civil lawsuits all the time. Makes for some interesting reading. The game is played 2 ways, first on the vehicle itself and then the medical. Always press them to settle the vehicle separately and wait about a year, but no more than 2 years for medical. This will allow time to see if there is any long term injury problem. Then take your medical bills, multiple them by 5 and they will usually settle for around 3 times the medical. If you want more, you'll have to go to court and prove a long term injuries.

I had a 95 Explorer that was totaled (not at fault), my insurance company is Allstate at they gave me KBB value back in 1999.

I would expect around 14K or 15K. I've handled with Allstate on 4 occasion with my trac and they been a breeze to deal with. When I was rear ended for the 3 time last year, the adjuster felt bad since he handled the first 2 rear endings, Allstate gave me a complementary rental at no charge. I guess I'm lucky.....:huh:

If you are offered $14K to $15K, take it, because that is more than fair. Today's values are lower due to the economy and the state of the automotive industry.

Prices of SUV's and Trucks are on the rise. The prices of small cars are coming down.

When the economy tanks, the prices of used vehicles come up because of the fact of buying a new car is not an option.

Tom

As long as your wife is ok that's what matters, sucks that two ST's had bite it but they can be replaced your wife's life can't.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
From an old retired insurance adjuster, they should shop your trac age and condition to find a comparable one available for sale and use that price as the starting place before argueing with the policyholder. I will have to admit most are too lazy to do this and will try to take the easy way out. The wording of your Policy Contract and I empathize the word Contract a legal document probably says the Insurance Company will repair or REPLACE your vehicle with like kind and quality depending on the state you live in.

Jim

I recently totalled my 07. My Insurance (nationwide), based the value on "compareables" for sale in the area and then add or substract based on the differnces of the vehicles. The agent assigned can go back to the adjustor if you feel the value isn't fair for your vehicle. Make sure they have an accurate list of all options and extras so they can figure that in the offer. Also, make sure you get all your stuff out of the old truck before you accept the offer. After that they haul it away. You may be able to keep some items like floor mats, bed extenders, tonneau covers, etc. (if you do, make sure you get the brackets too)

Good luck and glad to hear that everyone was ok.

Okay, First, thanks for all the replies. My insurance company, Allstate, picked up the ball I considered dropped by the other parties insurance company, Liberty Mutual. Allstate did in 2 days what Liberty didn't do in 2 weeks. Allstate totaled out my 2004 Sport Trac, gave me $16,200, including taxes. They're going after Liberty Mutual.

Second, got my 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin this past week. She is really a beautiful truck. We've put about 500 miles on her already and I'm loving it. I haven't got a read on the gas mileage yet because I get stopped and talked to about it whenever I pull into a parking lot. I'll try and post pictures soon.

Latest posts