new speakers are in

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Morrow

Reaction score
well I put the new speakers in tonight which are 6x8 infinity reference. downside, it seems as if the bass is almost non existent with them. Do they need a break in? or do I need to look at a small sub to bring some bass back into the st?

Nice choice. Those speakers are bring out alot of clarity in your mids and highs due to their sensitivity and low impedance. Break in period is up to you. I always break mine in slowly. And yes you definitely will need a sub to compensate for the new found clarity.

OEM speakers usually play a full range. Your new speakers are more about a component system. They are ment for mid bass and highs.

There are two solutions to your problem. 1) amplify your front stage. Your rms ratings on the new speakers may be to large for your current power levels. Thus, the excursion is non-existent. Without that, the notes that require the most cone movement will not exist. 2) get a substage. You would get a mono amp (or whatever amp you want) and drive an appropriately sized subwoofer with it. You will want s head unit with a high pass filter and am amp with a good low pass filter.

Just the basics and you could research it yourself and build the sound system that best fits the music you like.

My money is on amping your front stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM stuff is basically cardboard. You upgraded to a stiffer, higher quality cone. It will require additional energy to move it enough to get the sound you're looking for IMHO.

does any one have an experience with this sub? and do you think it will fit behind the back seats? I'm not trying to shake my windows just put some bass back into the truck

hey man, i have the infinity kappa series if you hook up a small 4channel amp youll get enough bass to please u im sure

i have people ask me where my subwoofer is...i dont have one tho

I've heard the basslink in person and it sucks. It will not match a normal, sealed sub with the same amps.

You will need a front stage amp that will deliver close to your speakers rms rated power or it will be a waste.

well I fixed it today, I bought a new alpine head unit with the alpine head unit power pack and it sounds awesome. I did get the bluetooth adapter for it too but I am having problems with it. Every time I connect the power wire to it it kills the head unit. It was getting late and I gave up for the night so I'll have to figure that out tomorrow. but adding power definetly helped!

Latest posts