New Speakers advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Geist

Reaction score
Sounds like one of my front door speakers is shot. I'm not an audiophile type person so just want something that sounds good and clear. After reviewing many previous posts and recommendations, I found three that I would like to see if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom. FYI - I'm not set on these three choices but I like the cheaper priced ones.

SONY XS-S680CX 6X8 SPEAKERS SPECIALTY LINE NEW 05 6"x8" - $33 + $25 shipping.

ALPINE SPS-570A 5"X7" 6"X8" SPEAKERS - $40.75 + $19.50 shipping

KICKER DS68 6x8" 2 Way 70 Watts Speakers - $35 + $16 shipping.

All my audio is stock.

I would never buy Sony car audio speakers.. just my opinion..

I have the Alpines, and think they sound great. But kicker also makes some good stuff.

No opinions on your selections but I know you will be much happier if you replace all four door speakers at the same time. You will be amazed at the better sound over your stock speakers.

I agree with Me. :blink:

Almost anything will be an improvement over the stock speakers. Go ahead and change out all 4. You would probably save some money overall on shipping. By the way, except for the high shipping costs those are some great prices for those speakers. Who are you getting them from?

Stock speakers didn't sound bad with a new head unit. I replaced my head unit before my speakers since I wanted to make sure it worked right. They had a lot more power and umph, but were still somewhat flat.

I then put in the 4 Pioneer 6x8 4-ways and the damn things are so clear my girlfriend was amazed. I actually only got to do the 2 front speakers only, then about a month later did the rears. The OEM could not keep up with the Pioneers and you could barely hear them. Bass would rattle them.

For the fronts, I used some dynamat around the actual speaker mount, and dynamat spray on the rest of the door. I ran out of spray which is why I waited on the rears. Later I found some cheaper stuff called vbs-1 quiet kote on ebay, which I used on the rear doors along with dynamat around the speaker. I think the quiet kote works way better than the dynamat spray, but has a bit of a smell that lingers for about a month, only while the windows are open. I sprayed the rear doors and the plastic door panels with it, and the rear doors have a very tight bass, no rattles, and amazing clarity all around.

You definitely want a good head unit which you can tweak the sound on. Something that has virtual alignment since our doors aim the speakers into our knees. I know my Kenwood Excelon has it, I believe Alpines do also, my friend has something similar on his $2000 setup.

Different music will require different settings though. I love all types of music, and if I go from R&B to rap to rock to latin, they all require different settings on the enhancements / EQ. (actually it sounds fine to everyone else if I leave it on one setting, but you understand the "audiophile" problem).

I get upset driving any other vehicle now. I was very happy with the job I did even without an amp or a sub, and I did it for $600

all i can say is the paper cone speakers that come stock sound like cats being thrown in water,:blink: lol

I had to gut the stereo when I got my trac and install my own gear, :blink:

Latest posts