New Shocks...the hype was accurate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
For a couple of years I've been reading on this site about how big a difference shocks made on an ST. Alot of testimonials about how much the ride and handling improved, to the point that I was becoming skeptical.

Well..I had a Sears rebate card from a recent washing machine purchase and this Sunday the paper contained an ad showing no installation fees PLUS a rebate on Monroes, etc. at Sears. The planets were in alignment so I decided to get new Reflex shocks.

Amazing. What I thought was hyperbole was actually accurate. I kept waiting for the truck to oscillate over a bump like I was used to, but it wouldn't. The speed bumps at my daughter's school would normally send my Trac rocking like a small boat in a big storm...not any more. The ride is a LITTLE stiffer, but not too much. The bounce, however, is so much better.

Had my car in and out in 2 hours (just enough time for lunch), and now all I have to do is send in my rebate paperwork. All in all a very good investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Cool Gary! (eltee)

Only negative is that you waited so long. LOL

Keep in mind, any new shock requires "break in".

Like any mechanical device, will soften over time.

Enjoy your "new" and safer ST.

Rear Sway Bar next? (Addco 633 or EE X-Spec) :banana:

#2 Suspension Upgrade (Second to Shocks)

#3 Front End Links (Moog or Energy Suspension)

And the cheapest, by far. ($30 for both sides)

Last edited by a moderator:
The OEM shocks are as bad as I have ever seen that are factory installed..

Truly amazing when you swap them out.

And the next thing is the rear stabilizer.

The front one is not a big deal, it will make a difference if you change it out. But the rear one is practically a MUST do...

yep, i was in that same boat till i got my shocks installed

definatly worth the money to improve the handling cant wait for sway bars for front and rear

plance - you don't feel anything wrong with them cause they are all you know on your truck. You don't know what you are missing, but you will know when you get it.

Plance, PMcD is exactly correct.

They feel fine as you are use to how they are. Something did not fail to where you would say, "hmmm, something does not feel right..."

They are weak for the Trac pretty much right off the Assembly line.

If you replace them you will be shocked.

One step further, if you replace the rear sway bar you will be truly amazed...

My review of the rancho rsx rs5000 series on 04 ST. They are on sale for $167 on www,truckaddons.com with a $50 visa gift card rebate. The install was really easy except the driver side rear shock. Had to drop that plastic box underneath. But the ride is great, not too stiff but feels like I actually have control during a turn. Also going over speed bumps doesn't feel like I'm riding in a bus. Many people have recomended the reflex shocks from monroe due to cost and quality ride but with the current cost of the rancho shocks definitely best upgrade for under $120 bucks.