new ride ordered

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Guidry

Reaction score
I have ordered a new vehicle ... still keeping the ST but fell in love with the Pontiac Solstice .... GO LSU

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice choice. Personally, I like the Saturn Sky a little better. Glad to see GM trying to compete with the king of sports cars, the Mazda MX5. Others like BMW Z3 and Honda S2000 are just priced to high compared to the MX5 and now the Solstice.

Tom

I loved my Pontiac. Was a 2002, built nice and solid, handled great, grand am GT... I loved it until Hurricane Charley put it through a virtual blender.

JM

Blake,

Yup. It isn't the fastest, best handleing, or the most expensive. It is the best priced, best handleing for the buck, and the best selling sports car ever...period.

Tom

Well i understand it for that point of view, i just thought you were saying it was like the BEST sportscar in comparison to everythign else.

Gavin: that's left up to real life tests. I wouldn't buy one until I see proof of real quality improvment in any GM product.

Good point.

BTW: I saw a 2005 Corvette at a car show last weekend. The interior was a joke. All the plastic on the dash made it look just like a GrandAm.

GM still has a ways to go.

Yup, the interior of teh C6 still sucks. It's all flat, black platic that looks and feel cheap. Better then the C5, but still no where near industry standard. At least F&F and NVH has improved since the last 'Vette.

tiger & gavin, i will taKe a C6 anyday of the week. let's see 400 hp in a regular C6 for low 40k and 505 hp in the ZO6 for mid 60's. the Z06 will out handle and outrun a viper and the regular C6 will pretty much smack around most vehicles out there. either one is an extrordinary sports car for the money. but then again, i'm partial to america's true and only sports car !

I'm not saying the C6 is any less of a performer, just the interior is crap.

Given the choice though, I'd get the GTO. Basically, a C6 with two more seats and a much better interior. And side windows that you can see out of.

Tiger: not to mention the stealthy looks of the GTO. I sat next to one at a traffic light, assumed it was another 2 door Grand Am.

True. With this retro styling craze, it's actaully nice to see something that executes an old formula in new clothes.

A Z06 would make a dandy track car though....not sure about an everyday driver, 505HP is alot, and I suspect a bit of an understatement. Even though I'd like to get my next car up to about 450 RWHP, which would be 500+ at the crank, and keep it a daily...we'll cross that bridge when I get to that point.

I've seen a lot of the C6s on the track when we go to lapping days. Very fast cars even through the turns. I've only seen one Viper on the track we go to and he has a tendency to spin out a lot. But, that is because the car is so much to handle. Then again he has the Viper you can buy direct from Dodge which is a turn key race car.

I do like the heads-up display they have on the C6. GTO would be a good track car but not with the stock suspension and brakes.

Thanks,

SST

The new (05) GTO brakes are much better then the 04 brakes. The '04s were undersized and overworked, the '05 has bigger, better brakes....but on a race course you can never have too much brake. The suspension would need a going over...mashing to gas in the middle of a turn tends to bring the back end ahead of the front, yee-haw. RKSport, Arrow Head Performance and a few others have what you need for the GTO though.

SST, don't forget that the GTO won the American Formula D (rift) competition this year with Rhys Millen at the controls, so maybe it was meant to go sideways in the first place....

Latest posts