New Ranger?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S KRX

Reaction score
Anyone got the scoop on Ford's plans for a new smaller truck? The current Ranger is starting to look like a Model T. Are they ever going to re-design it...its been the same since 1993! About the only thing that could get me to give up my Sport Trac in 2011 when the warranty runs out would be a new re-designed Ranger(or equivalent). As much as I love my ST, a real bed would be a good thing.

I just read on another thread that they scrapped the F-100 idea because it wouldn't tow enough. If Ford keeps the current Ranger design until 2012, they are fools

I posted a thread about the F-100 and what the morons at Ford did about it.

It was destined to replace the Ranger. But it looks as though the Ranger will languish until extinction by removal from the Ford line up.

They want to sell the F series trucks...and evidently, that's all they want to sell.

Strange that they don't care what people WANT to buy.

Go to the thread and read the comments at the end of the article from folks like us to see the overwhelming majority that want a smaller truck than the F-150.

Ford better come up with a new idea, or Toytota is going to crush their truck sales in a few years. Not all of us want or need a full size pickup. I drove an F-150 before I bought my ST, and it felt like a commercial truck, instead of a passenger vehicle. Plus, full size trucks are heavy and difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. If you need one, fine...but many of us want something smaller.

It's all about making money, especially now. The Ranger was supposed to be done after 2008 and replaced by the new F-100, although the towing capacity story could be true I also think they kept making it because of high gas prices hurting full-size sales and the F-100 wouldn't have been much different. Since the truck is unchanged from 1998 (and the beds from 1993-up are the same) the tooling is paid for and the Ranger is a cash cow for Ford.

They are fools for not selling the 4 door Ranger model that exists in Mexico! Loved my Ranger and would have bought the 4 door model in a heartbeat over my ST! Not knocking the ST, just loved my Ranger.