New Ranger? / sport trac ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Edwards

Reaction score
Every once in awhile, we're titillated by a new Ford Ranger pickup or Everest SUV caught cruising around here in the US. Is this beautiful "Wildtrak Orange" Ranger just a Ford staffer's transportation (probably) or a test mule for some new running gear?

Any time we see a Ranger here in America, it makes me think Ford may be evaluating some interesting changes for the truck even if those changes do not include preparation for the US market. The US has some good opportunities for high altitude and cold weather testing, conveniently located closer to some of Ford's facilities here than those abroad.

I can't think of a time we've seen this truck on American roads with no camouflage whatsoever, but it's not unheard of for current-model non-US market vehicles to be hanging out under the watchful eye of manufacturers.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/just-a-new-ford-ranger-driving-around-in-the-us-on-mich-1615977968/+damon

Once they start selling the Nissan Frontier with the Cummins in it Ford will want to get their heads out of their ass's and bring the Ranger (Sport Trac) to the U.S. Market. :btddhorse:

It's hideous. Even if they did bring it here and it had the powertrain I want, it's too ugly. And all the talk about it's size competing with the F150 came true. It's too big to be considered a Ranger in anything but name.

So call it an F-100 or whatever. I really don't care if they call it anything. Just let me buy one before my Trac dies. Oh, and Mr Ford, when you finally do bring it here please give us the 2.7L EcoBoost as an engine option for those of us who don't really want a diesel. And about the styling, it's not that different from the 2nd Gen Sport Trac and I obviously have no problem with that.

One other thing on the styling. By the time it comes here, if ever, the global Ranger will be due for a styling update. After all, it has been on sale elsewhere since the 2012 model year. My guess is that it will use the same front end styling as the new Everest SUV which is based on the same T6 global Ranger. The Everest uses a grille that looks very similar to that on many current Ford passenger cars, especially some recent models of the Taurus. As a matter of fact, you can see pictures of the Everest on the same jalopnik.com website.

I don't know if many of you have read anything about the Global Ranger but the high end 4x4 models have off-road features and capabilities that put every model of the F-150 to shame with the possible exception of the Raptor. These things can run in water up to the hood without drowning. The roads in many other parts of the world are not that good and the Ranger was designed to survive in those environments and it already meets all US safety standards.

Ford probably did too good of a job designing the Ranger and realizes that if they did sell it here it a lot of customers would probably choose it over the F-150 because it is simply better suited for personal use than the freaking huge F-150. They certainly can't endanger that truck's all important sales crown and profit margins. :sad:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

they have them here in Denmark..

would love to get one as it is the only thing CLOSE to a Sport Trac here..

and some of the options are great. like the lift up bed cover.

But here the cost is just to much. and they charge even more for Taxes because of the 4 doors. more than if you get a SUV. the way they tax trucks here because of commercial use. is nuts..

I've got time to wait since my ST is a 2010, but whatever I buy next has to have these qualities: riding on independent rear suspension, have four doors and a bed, drive all 4 wheels, and have enough motor to pull this....

[Broken External Image]:

Wearing a Ford oval isn't one of my must-haves. Loyalty goes both ways, and I'm more than a little miffed that Ford completely stopped updating the version of Sync in my truck. But I do like the fact that Ford didn't take a bailout a few years back.

We've gone over it on this forum before. Ford dropped the ST because the Explorer went car-based unibody like everyone else, and the ST wasn't selling all that great to make it on it's own. I will include Ford in my next search, and an ST in the lineup will definitely help, but I'll buy whatever fits me best when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding, it's $1.36 regular a liter ($5.15 a US gallon) up here and with the 91 tune the 94 octane is $1.62 ($6.13 a gallon).

I wish for $3.13 a gallon again.

I believe some versions of the global Ranger are rated to tow well over 8000 lbs which is better than my V-8 Trac. The top of the line Ranger engine is a 3.2L in-line 5 cyl turbo diesel rated at 347 ft lb. and it is available in 6-speed auto or 6-speed manual trans versions.

By the way, that new 2.7L V-6 EcoBoost in the 2015 F-150 is rated at 325 hp and 375 ft lb. Just imagine that would be like in a Ranger...

It'd be awesome....if it didn't have a plastic "roll bar", awkward Frontier rear door and ugly front end. The Everest front end would be an improvement but the more square look of the F series is more to my liking.

While i was over in germany i saw one and it was nice. It was the bigger version of the sport trac but it didnt have the plastic roll bar, it had the metal chromed out roll bar.

I like the looks of that truck (Ranger). Not that crazy about the plastic sail-roll bar. Makes it look like a touch of the Chevy Avalanche. :throwup:

...Rich

Sal A, that ad info you posted for the Wildtrak, isn't that for the previous generation of the global Ranger? The styling is a bit more subdued....:grin:

the booklet is from 2 years ago I think..

not sure exactly what year it was.. but I think its a 2012 if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts