New ranchos going in and the add-a-leaf

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Finally got around to having the rancho shocks and the add a leaf installed today. Found I need new pads as well but that's next weekend's driveway project!

Which Ranchos did you get? Time for the Gibson cat back? How many miles you at?

I also put the leaf boost springs in the back. Totally eliminates the wheel hop you encounter when you are climbing a hill in the snow and start breaking loose. Money well spent.

Rebuilding my front-end 01 ST 4wd, looking at the ranchos and adding rear leaf, first i need ball joints, original control arms, can i just replace balljoints only and bushings, not control arms?

Ball joints and bushings replaceable on lowers. Ball joints not replaceable on uppers, bushings are. Most would replace the complete LCA if bushings are needed. Press required.

Last edited by a moderator:
The upper ball joints last longer than the lowers. For the lowers, it's useful to get the ball joint remover kit from harbor freight.

The Moog "Problem Solver" ball joints are slightly over-sized for the situation where the lower ball joints have been replaced a few times and the hole in the lower a frame is worn out.

Complete front suspension kits are on ebay with upper control arms with ball joints, lower balljoints and tie rod ends for about $100.

Some outfits sell a new upper control arm that accepts their own replaceable ball joint.

Most sell the complete upper with a non-replaceable ball joint, which is like the original.

Given that the uppers hardly wear, not sure it makes a big difference which way you go.

It's an all day Saturday job. Since you'll be "going in there" you might want to consider replacing other things. New Rotors needed?, New wheel bearings? New tie rod ends?

The parts are inexpensive compared to the value of your Saturday. So you don't want to waste another Saturday going in there again for something you missed.

The Arabs have an old saying..."Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel".

Gen 1 Sport Trac owners have a similar saying... "Trust in Ford but, check your body mounts."

Most would replace the complete LCA if bushings are needed.

After checking 10 or 12, I have found no shop willing to replace the LCA bushings. They all have said they don't have a press. They also say that the additional labor to R&R the bushings is more than the additional cost of the complete LCA. This is not true. I believe that they want the additional money from the parts (bushings are inexpensive ~20 to $30 per side vs ~$170 for the complete LCA), and the simpler install.

... can i just replace ball joints only and bushings ...

If you have access to a press.

I have the Rancho RS9000XL. They're a bit expensive, but they can be tuned to your liking; I like them. I have them set to 6 up front and 3 at rear.

Just a heads up if you are replacing LCA's UNLESS you are using OEM Ford or Motorcraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the s5000 ranchos. What a difference in the feel of the truck! Even the wife says it rides smoother and feels better! And the vibration I had at 110 kms and up is all but gone! So happy with the St again! Just gave her some new pads and winter tires today. The pads were needed. Almost totally gone. Not to an unsafe level, but needed to be done.

Latest posts