New Plugs and Wires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wilson

Reaction score
Hey, all. Well, finally did the plugs and wires (fuel and air filter too) at 123,000. The plugs were a little "screechy" coming out, as one member had said, but I took my time and let 'em rest a little between turns, and all 6 came out without much other trouble. The passenger side was a bear, as we know, but I knew this to start, and jacked her up and pulled both front wheels, and removed the "stubby" liners in the wheelwells. Again, swivels and an assortment of extension lengths helps here! Plugs were about .085 on one side, .075 on the other. I knew to expect this, thanks to others here. But, they were all a beautiful tan color, and even in wear and color, per each bank. I got the Motocraft SP500 plugs and Motocraft 8 mm silicone wire set from the dealer. Parts were only $68! Had a friend get me his 20% employee discount. Fuel and air filter were Wix. I work in EMS/Rescue, and that's what they use at the maintenance garage for the fire trucks, Po-Po cars, and ambulances, so I figured Wix filters were good for me, too! Used a dab of anti-seize on the plug threads as they went in, and HD silicone ignition lube and sealer on the plug and coil boots as they were installed. After three tanks, I'm averaging about 1.5-2 mpg better! :haveabeer:

Good job! Peace of mind knowing you're good for many more miles. :supercool:

I had #6 OEM ignition wire fail at around 75k miles.

I had the cyl 6 misfire ODB code.

I took my time and checked out all the offerings from all the auto parts places.

Pepboys, National Auto, NAPA, Autozone, etc...

IMHO Bosch makes the best wires. I think they are better than OEM.

I got them at Autozone.

When I replaced them I discovered that #1 plug had a cracked insulator. It then turned into the "change the plugs too" project.

Like you, I saw a significant improvement in fuel economy after the job was done.

Definitely put the anti-seize on the new plugs.

Latest posts