New noise in Front Right Steering:pics:

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snooze

Reaction score
This sound has been slowly getting worse. I included these pics for everyone to look at the angles and possibly spot the problem. This situation is a bit unique due to the RCD Kit. Tomorrow I will have a short video with the sound.

I turn the wheel 3/4s of the way to the right till the noise takes place, then I can turn back and forth shortly and the noise repeats. Also, it is much worse when I change the angles other then the normal riding position.

I feel a vibration in the right horizontal steering shaft as well. Seems some things are either rubbing or the joints are going bad. ????

Any suggestions?

[Broken External Image]: [Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, sounds like it might be the joints on the steering shaft. Looking at the first picture, almost made me think that it comes very close with the sway bar and at off road, I bet it comes really close. But in the second picture, the angle for which the steering shaft has to make to get the wheel to turn, might be putting too much stress on it, to cause it to fail quickly. Now, I could be totally off the charts wrong, but I'm going with the angle. And if it would be the problem, prolly the only solution would be to figure out how to move the steering shaft down, to match up with the spindle for a parallel straight link.

Sounds like the lower ball joints and or tie rod ends...

Todd Z

Check your upper control arm bushings. Sounds like a problem I have heard before. Also your sway bar links are shot..

I am concerned with the angle of the outer tie rod. However, I don’t have a comparison to make. Anyone help me out with that as well? I have always been curious about that angle.

I will look into getting both inner and outer tie rods and replacing both.

I am curious to see what anyone with the super lift kit has to say. I would like to do a comparison with that set up as well to see how different they are and if one is more prone to failure then the other.

Anyone have an assembly schematic for the front suspension and steering?

Thank you for the help.

Dan Long,

I see the same thing, His sway bar end link looks like it is bent to crap, that thing needs to be replaced..

Todd Z

I will send photo 1 into my installer to see what he thinks about the end link connection.

What do you think about the angle of outer tie rods?

The tie rods look normal, For some reason, they all sit twisted like that..

Any picks of the lower or upper ball joints ??

Todd Z

I see a considerable difference in the sway bar end links. I also see that you have the jack stand tab on your lower a arm which is something my lower a arms don’t have....? Anyways.

Chad, how does the angle of of your steering look compared to mine? Could there be a difference between spindles and their steering arm mounting positions?

The sway bar end links come with the RCD kit... I hope they are not bent. They look like they have a rotational joint there. I will see what my installer says about them.

Todd, are the upper and lower ball joints between the upper and lower A arms and the spindle mounts?

It looks to me like the front swaybar endlink is bent and also I agree Todd that the tie-rod usually looks twisted as in the picture, but I think it is busted. The rubber is stretched in the picture and the tie-rod is still pretty much straight out from the rack. With the vehicle jacked up, the end of the tie-rod should be much closer to the hub. I had the same thing happen to my wife's old Jeep. Looked fine until you moved the suspension. Then the hub would go down but the tie-rod end would stay where it was. Get the endlink and the tie-rod end replaced. Did you hit a curb with the wheel turned at any time? Things don't get bent without some type of force put to it. Just asking, I'm not putting down your driving skills.;)

The tie rod ends do rotate alot, at least mine rotate and sometimes look like Snooze's.

The upper ball joint is at the top of the spindle, and the lower ball joint is on the lower control arm. If you look ay my pic you can see the lower ball joint where the grease fitting is.

Chad

K that makes sense. I will go take pictures of those for Todd.

I did hit a curb at one point a while ago and it was on the right side... I was turning onto a vacant lot that didn’t have a lowered curb.

This is a pic of the original install before the truck was put on the ground. There is a rotation in the sway bar end links and the steering tie rod has a bit of an extreme upturn...

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts