new member just starting to upgrade my 03 here, what are your favorite parts and upgrades?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey just joined, I'm starting on some upgrades to my 03 xlt I do some off roading (mud and sand )I just installed a k&n intake kit and got some new Grabber AT2 tires I want some more power and alittle better handling. I was wondering what was everyone's favorite upgrade they made to thier sport trac? best bang for the buck,what made the biggest difference.stuff like that I need a starting point i guess thats what I'm after. thanks:btddhorse:

Remove the OEM shocks and install any decent shock and install an aftermarket rear sway bar.

That alone will make a HUGE differance...

Welcome aboard..

Like Coastiejoe said replace the stock shocks and front end links. I have an '03 XLT that you can check out the progress from stock to lifted (2" TT, W.P. lift shackles, P.A. body lift, 285/75/16 BFG's) in my library. I've done a ton of mods adn still going, if you're looking for extreme suspension mods check out chad's ST from St. Louis, I'll be doing a SAS, SOS when my ST gets payed off.

:banana::driving::haveabeer:

best bang for buck.... SCT Xcal 3

Ditto.:banana: Contact our site sponsor, Torrie at Unleashed Tuning. He's very experienced with Sport Tracs, having built tons of tunes for folks on this site, myself included. Link below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely do the suspension mods first--a few hours of time, and the handling will be awesome.

XCal 3 I don't yet have (but will get--had to buy a netbook first...), but I can say that the other day I rode in someone else's ST, with no suspension mods, and even as a passenger that was horrible to go back to. Suspension makes a HUGE difference. More noticeable than the "power" mods I've done. (CAI, throttle body, coil...)

Definitely up the handling before you up the power. Straight lines are fun and all, but turning is better :grin:

IMO the front end links are the best bang for the buck though, 35 bucks for such a vast improvement in handling? Hard to beat.

(Again, I don't yet have the XCal)

Current additions:

Performance (for better gas milage) -

AirAid Cold Air Intake;

Royal Purple: 10w-30 engine oil (high milage), Syncromax tranny fluid, power steering fluid, Purple Ice radiator additive, & MaxGear in the differential;

SCT XCalibrator II w/ programs for 87 octane economy & towing;

Trick Flow differential cover w/ Royal Purple MaxGear oil;

Taylor Vertex spark plug wires & new OEM plugs;

Flowmaster 70 Big Block single-in / duel-out muffler, because I wanted the quietest one on the market;

ZabTeck throttle body;

ZabTeck 'C&L' Mass Air Flow Sensor housing;

Accel Coil Pack;

[Removed] WARNING - DO NOT do this project Flex-a-lite 180 Extreme electric fan, off w/ engine;

[Removed - to noisy & leaked] Hurst Shifter, as per Ed Molines (a.k.a. Spaceman) project;

Safety -

Added APC Side marker lights;

Upgraded to Sylvania Silver Star Ultra headlight & Silver Star corner/turn signal bulbs;

Upgraded to Halogen back-up lights;

OEM Fog Lights & upgraded OEM radio bezel w/ fog light switch built-in [in process];

Ride & Handling -

Explorer Express rear anti-sway bar w/ greasable bushings from Zabteck;

Upgraded '03-'05 OEM rear end links with poly bushings;

4x4 Front stabilizer/anti-sway bar, on 4x2;

Upgraded to MOOG Problem Solver Front End Links with poly bushings, this is a very good thing;

Upgraded to MOOG Problem Solver rear end link repair upgrade, another very good thing;

Roadmaster Active Suspension on the leaf springs;

Tokico Trek Master R/T shocks (front and rear) [next shocks are going to be Rancho RSX];

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires, 35 psi front & 35 psi rear (next tires might be General Grabber HTS or current No. 1 rated tire on TheTireRack.com);

Wheel Spacer Adapters, 1-1/4" billet aluminum on rear wheels;

Interior -

Added overhead console w/ temperature & direction [almost done] - Thanks Trackette Paul;

Upgraded visors w/ lighted mirrors - Thanks Trackette Paul;

Upgraded map lights to PIAA Extreme White 168 bulbs;

Added Dynamax sound deadening material under manual shifter console;

Added Dynamax sound deadening material under the center console;

Exterior Apperance -

WAAG Front Runner;

WAAG Rear Bumper Guard;

A.R.E. MX Truck Cap [want to remove];

Updated molding between front & rear doors for quieter ride (see projects section);

Added OEM Gray Splash Guards on front & rear;

Audio -

Upgraded to Extreme speakers by Dynamic Audio (that work better with people with hearing challenges);

Towing -

Curt Mfg. Hitch receiver powdercoated Ford Platinum Gray

What benefit will you see/gain by changing the end links? The kit appears to be just bushings and mounting hardware. Is it the fact that you are simply replacing old bushings with new? I replaced the shocks last year with Sens-a-Tracs and the ride was noticably firmer.

96f10640d90eb29d232b57d54004fb1a.jpg

My favorite mod

JK II, I like that you did a ST, not to many body dropped and bagged out there. Did you do a traditional body drop or the full 7"s, I'm in a club called Down2EarthCustoms, you can check out our site at D2ECustoms.com, I'll be bagging my show truck next winter. :driving::supercool::banana:

Jerry its not body dropped just bagged.

I'm so glad you gave me the money to buy MY truck Mark. A 4 foot bed is pretty useless to begin with. I've still hauled stuff in that thing.

Latest posts