New Key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Roncarati

Reaction score
I only have 1 key to the Trac. I was looking on ebay and found one with programming instructions, all that would be needed would be to have it cut. Is it that easy??

You can NOT program the trac if you only have one key. You need two keys. If you only have one key you need to take it to the dealer for programming. Then get a third key and program it yourself so that you don't run into this situation again.

Check this web sponsor's site (my husband) he has done keys for quite a few ST members.

Sorry I copied and pasted off the site sponsors tab on the left and it won't open for me, but if you click on it on that page it will open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acculy, it really easy to program a new key.... search in google.... you put the good key, half start, then put the new key in and turn the ignition almost to start like 8 times or something and then the locks in the car will lock and then unlock telling you that the key has been reprogramed.... check the number of times and what you must do before you do that b/c if you mess up... your screwed

ST Sails, you must have 2 keys to program a new one yourself. Procedure is very simple, but ONLY if you have 2 keys. Otherwise, you have to go to a dealership.

Cruzrtwdgt is right.. You can program a new key fob with only one key, but to program a new key, you need 2 working keys. (This way the guy who valet parks your car cant make a new key with only one working key)

ST Sails, what you described is how to program a fob. It takes two working keys to add anymore keys yourself.

Sails, if what you say is true. It is new info to this board. Maybe LaRue our resident locksmith will chime in.

Sails, if what you say is true. It is new info to this board. Maybe LaRue our resident locksmith will chime in.

If that is the case, you have info that we do not have here. How about post the link link to the directions you got so we can check them out.

2nd thing..... you programmed the new key. Where was your old one when you tested the one you just programmed? Anywhere near the steering column or was it outside the cab of the truck somewhere? These are similar to RFID's and I have no idea of the range on them, but I do know you can tape one under the dash and it will still work.

ST Sails,

Pretty sure you are wrong because:

a. The Ford manual says you need two keys to program a third

b. It would be a poor design of the reprogramming sub-system if it allowed for programming a key with just one programmed key. Think of the valet example. People give their single key to a valet for a couple of hours. Home Depots are just down the street in most locations. Any person could snag a key, get a dupe and reprogram. I think this alone is the reason that TWO keys are required as a security feature.

c. No one on this board has ever stated it can be done with one key, and we have some pretty smart, "try anything once" folks here.

TJR

ST Sail: OK,,, you had ONE key, right..... added a second key by this process and both keys work,,, so, if in fact you did program an extra key that way PLEASE send me detailed instructions of what you did, because I have never heard of that being possible. As of today, my knowledge and experience requires me to have 2 working/programmed keys "in hand" to add any additional keys. Even if I use my key programming machine. This could make my life easier if it does work. But I have to tell you,, I am pretty sceptical. ( don't come up from C-town to kick my butt OK!:) :)

When Ford introduced the PATS system in the 90's, it COULD be done with only one key. The process took about an hour and a half, though. You could even program a key in the event all keys were missing. Apparently, some thieves have more patience than others (not to mention being sneakier), so Ford took that option out of the system. Now, it does require two working keys to program a new one without a trip to the dealership.

Take a look folks. Doesn't specify ST but does include Explorer from '98 and up. It may be that Ford said it can't be done but they never actually disabled it in the software. "Easter Egg" maybe????

<a href="http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php"target=top>Pats Programming</a>

Maybe he has one of those aftermarket alarms that requires a PATS key in a bypass box under the dash and that is why his original second key is missing?????

Me, BOTH keys have to go into the admission in order to program a third. The bypass box w/key won't be sufficient if the key remains in the box.

Sorry Cruzr, didn't read that far down. Just threw it out there as a maybe.

If there is a key in the bypass box or taped to the column, the PATS is probably already disabled. This means that any cut key will work, no need for it to be programmed, and making him think that he programmed a key.

I knew about the early PATS, it's a pain! But most 98 & up went to the new system, requiring 2 keys.

PATS AND PATS1 On board programming with only 1 key required…

Contour 1997-1998 PATS 1

Excursion 1997-1998 PATS 1

Mustang 1996-1997 PATS 1

Taurus 1996-1997 PATS 1

2 keys required

Explorer Sport Trac 2001-2005 PCM

2006-2007 PATS 4 CAN

What hapened to ST Sails? Thought he had some info for us about using one key..:unsure:

Inquiring minds want to know..

Latest posts