~ New JL Audio subwoofer installed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Potts

Reaction score
First off I will get pics later tonight!

I just got done installing a 10" JL Audio w3v3-2 in the STA...

WOW does this thing pound! It is almost too loud....I was able to bypass the stock woofer and remove it totally!

I took off the rear trim panel to removed the stock sub and found that there is a few extra inches behind that allowed me to go with a deeper NON-Shallow mount woofer. I wanted to stay with a sub behind teh rear seat vs under teh rear seat...I just don't like how the under seat sub enclosures don't let you fold the seat down.

I converted an enclosure that was originally made for a 2003 F150. ( It looks like the image below. ) I had to add a 3/4" piece of Fiber board to the front to add mounting depth for the subwoofer. Works and looks great!

Like I said pics coming later tonight when I can get home to upload them!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds pretty cool! We need DETAILED pics man.

He's got to be running at least a 300.1 to make that 10" pound the way he is describing. He kept his amp from his last setup so I'm thinking he is using Pioneer 360w Amp (GM-7300). It's probably 300.1.

I used the Pioneer amp....it pushes 360w RMS x1 @ 2ohms. The JL Sub will accept a max of 500w RMS. But not sure if it's the box, the dynomat (<---doubtfull) or teh accoustics of the truck but I could NOT imagine putting 500w to this sub! It's already loud enough!

The Wife took the STA again today, so I will have to get pics in the morning and post them!

Sorry....but it has been nice driving her Mustang to work! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the requested pics!

Eventually gonna re-rout the wires so I can mount my amp behined the rear seat too....on passenger side. This way I can fully fold down the rear seat! Will probably cut teh rear trim panel so the top part of it will mount back in!

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Always a fan of everything you do to your STA man.

Except for this mod. Your STA is a show truck if their ever was one. This mod doesn't match the level of fit and finished quality that your others do.

It looks worse than before. The wood you screwed into the box looks unfinished and "hacky." in my opinion. Just to much of a quick fix.

The carpet is falling off the box and it looks pretty worn out compared to your last enclosure. The box looks used.

I'd have spent the extra money on a custom enclosure with that style in mind.

I bet it sounds way better than the other enclosure did as far as base. With that type of mounting depth you've got a SPL designed sub. Does the sound quality sound better or just the bass?

You must understand that if I ever decide to "show" the truck...the rear seat will remain up. I never fold the seat down unless I am hauling something that I need to put back there. I never intend on showing what is behind the seat.

Only reason why These pics wee taken and the back seat down was per your request! No one will ever see behind there!

PLUS: It's not totally done! Like I said I am gonna make it better appearance wise, just becasue....however I have not had the time!

Where can i get this enclosure? I have an amp and sub left over from my first gen sport trac and know i'll need it in my new one.

The moral of this storey is there is enough reoom behind the seats to fit a single 10 no problem (by the pics) so im sure if Doug doesnt spiff it up, someone else will have one on the same spot looking a little nicer...

PS - A daily driver can only be a show car for so long, but the music will need to sound good forever ;)

Hell man I like it, if possible do you have the dimensions for the box? Don't have the money to go out and buy one but I have the materials to build it. Great looking truck too, it could be a show truck what I see in the pictures. I'm gonna have my truck in the World of Wheels Champoin Car Show in Pittsburgh, Pa. and have had mine in and on the cover of acouple magazines so I think I know a show qulity truck when I see one. Jerry

Here are the dimensions of the box that would fit...

Not necessarily what I have. The box dimensions below will give you what's needed for a 6" sub depth.

THis box should give you around: 1.1 cu ft of airspace.

If you need less, just cut down the width!

[Broken External Image]:

I'm about to take delivery of my STA this weekend so i can find out then, but did you remove anything behind the seats?

And what is the recommend material to use for building a sub enclosure?

I got the tools and a helpful father but i just need to get all the specs of the the enclosure down.

Also i'm unsure of the wiring and may need some help the "new" gen 2 sport tracs. Mine is 09 w/ Nav so there may be some differences in wiring, i'll have to check for myself i guess.

Richie:

MDF 3/4" if you have the room otherwise you can get away with 5/8" if it isn't going to be a ground pounding system.

Use wood glue to hold it together, screws are only to hold the wood in place while the glue dries. Real wood glue makes a chemical bond, not a physical bond like superglue. So wood glue every seam, and then make sure it's sealed up good.

Latest posts